Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

4.2 slow oil leak - bottom of oil pan wet with oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Default 4.2 slow oil leak - bottom of oil pan wet with oil

Logged in as jcasaccio Title:

FontsArialArial BlackArial NarrowBook AntiquaCentury GothicComic Sans MSCourier NewFixedsysFranklin Gothic MediumGaramondGeorgiaImpactLucida ConsoleLucida Sans UnicodeMicrosoft Sans SerifPalatino LinotypeSystemTahomaTimes New RomanTrebuchet MSVerdana
Sizes1234567

Hi all -

My 06 LTD with 53k on it now has a slow oil leak. It only drips 1 drop every week or so, but I am thinking the leak could get worse. Are the 4.2's prone to leaking? Could it just be a valve cover gasket? I am having trouble seeing where it could be coming from.....anyone's thoughts or experience is appreciated.

Regards
Jack

[More]

Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
No icon

Old 04-03-2018, 12:50 PM

Some thoughts on your oil leak. I would check all the oil pan bolts to make sure there tight .Check the drain plug for tightness . Once you are sure the oil isn't coming from the oil pan I would take and clean the engine with engine cleaner and wipe it down as good as you can ,then take a good bright light and check everything for leaking oil every day .I would also include the oil pan and check for oil around the pan gasket . I think there is a dye you can put in the oil but you'd have to check with the auto supplies first . Hope this helps you .

Last edited by Jerbear; 04-03-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:39 PM

Sometimes you have to play detective and keep looking for clues.
You might try the following,
place a piece of clean cardboard under the engine and see if you can get a general idea where the oil is dripping.
Sometimes the source can be pinpointed as suggested in the previous post.
In your investigation you might see a trail where the oil is leaking out somewhere on the top and running down appearing to come from the wet location. Other times the source can be from the front of the vehicle and the fan(s) will blow it somewhere else.
Depending on where you drive , reside and park your vehicle , a drop or two can make a mess of a clean garage floor or if the vehicle stays outside most of the time and is constantly exposed to the elements a little oil can prevent a bad rust condition.
What are your thoughts on this?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:02 AM

the oil pan leaks on these motors they didnt use a gasket- they used rtv- but it leaks (not always but on this ) the other place they leak is the oil filter adapter (oil pump). to repair you must remove the catalytic converter (that is under oil pan, remove the ac compressor (loosen at least) and then you can get to most of the pan bolts. You will have to remove the flex plate cover (transmission) (3 bolts--very easy) --remove pan, clean surfaces, and INSTALL A GASKET. ==then remove the oil filter and install new gasket. That gasket is about 10$. They will tell you the ford gasket wont fit- but it does. I think its for a 2007- but it fits. The one for 2004-2006 is like 50$, the one for 07 is 10$ and is same thing (If I remember right) --but basically this is how you fix the oil leaks on these cars.