Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Advance Trac problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Default Advance Trac problem

I have a 2004 Freestar and it is showing the "trac off" indicator always ON in the panel. I have already taken it with the local dealer three times and the haven't been able to fix it.
The first time it took them a couple of days to determine that the ABS module was damaged. I'm not sure what that is, but they ordered it and it took 3 weeks to arrive. They changed it and it worked fine for a couple of weeks, then it went ON again. I took it to the dealers and it took them 2 more days to tell me that they still don't know what the problem is and they needed more time. I had to take it again and still no response.
I have the idea that these guys are clueless and they need professional help (they are suppossed to be professional though).
The Advance Trac system can be disable manually with a button on the panel, but it doesn't respond to it, it is just always "trac off" ON.
I wonder if somebody else has seen this problem and could give us a hint.
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Advace Trac problem

Suspect elec. problem causing ABS module going bad. sorry not much help, sound like a fun one to T/S [sm=interesting.gif]

Old 12-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Advance Trac problem

This problem has become a nightmare. Even that the mini van can work and I can't really tell if this feature works or not, the indicator is always ON, which tells that the AdvanceTrac system will not go ON when needed.

The van has visited two different dealers and has spent so many weeks that I don't recall how many. They changed the ABS module and a switch and still doesn't work. I took it home, because I need it. I'll have to insist until next year, but now I don't know if they'll be able to solve it.

I guess nobody in this forum has seen this problem. I hope it'll ever gets solved.
Regards.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:36 AM

If the best Techs at your dealership can't get it figured out, they have the ability to call in a True Ford "Engineer". I had the luck of working with them in the past and they know their ****. Tell your service writer during you're next visit that you want an engineer to look at it. It will take more down-time, but it will at last be fixed. Ford trained Techs are good, but time to time, they need a bit of help from the designers.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:39 PM

Hi, I am having simular problems... just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was. I am on month three and on to the trird dealership with no help.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:00 PM

I'm still having the problem. It's been more that 7 months now. The van has been with 3 different dealers and they can't fix it. I don't know what to do now. They are waiting for the engineer to come and look at it but this person visits the dealer not so often as I can see.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:43 AM

My 2006 Freestar: I also had the warning light flashing and the car would not accelerate past 30 mph - it was stumbling and stuttering the whole time while accelerating. I turned off the AdvanceTrac and it was fine. When I drove it a few hours later, no problems. I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow.

I am also having a whining or bearing noise that is new. I really like this van and hope it doesn't turn out to be a total piece of crap.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:41 PM

I'm reading with interest the problems of the Advance Trac system you all have discribed and I'm now puzzled. I just bought a new 2006 Freestar and am new to this forum. The dealer who sold me the Freestar tells me that the Advanced Trac system should normally be in the "OFF" position and only turned to "ON" when driving in poor traction conditions such as slippery snow, loose gravel, mud, or anytime there may be a compromise in traction. I get the impression that you folks are driving with the Advance Trac system "ON" all the time. Was I given bad info by my sales person? I'm also puzzled by the "warning light" you all described. At least on the 2006 Freestar the only light I know for the Advance Trac system is when the system is in the "ON" position, I get the small light that remains "ON" on the instrument panel to show the system is turned "ON" and working. If the system were to fail, the light on the instrument panel will not come "ON" with the switch in the "ON" position. I guess I need to study the owners manual more to understand this system. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated while I read the manual again! Thank you.

Tom

2006 Freestar Limited

Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 PM

Try checking the ABS wheel sensors, sometimes they get full of crud and block the magnet. Has your dealer checked the wheel sensor?

Old 06-04-2006, 05:45 PM

i just purchased a ford freestar brand new on may 12 2006 i have had nothing but trouble with the advance trek my car takes control won't let me brake or anything it has been to two differant dealerships the ford engineers looked at it no one can say what is wrong the van has caused me to almost get into 2 accidents with my kids in the car and i just got it back on thursday and is now doing the same thing again on sunday it only has 800 miles on it

Quick Reply: Advance Trac problem