Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Advance Trac problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Default RE: Advance Trac problem

I had trac system engage after stopping for coffee. I had been driving trhough the rain, however at the time the rain had stopped. I shut it down and restarted and all was fine. However, when I got home I had it checked at dealer and an ABS module had been damaged and was replaced. I am not sure of the exact module, but it had to be due to water intrution and no I did not drive thru an deep water. I was on RT2 driving in to Boston and the Alwife over to Medford.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 PM

I had an issue this summer after stopping for coffee while driving in the rain. The trac system engaged and would not allow the van over 20mph. I pulled over and restarted the van, issed cleared. When I returned home, I had the van in for service and mentioned it to my Head Service Rep/Manager. The ABS/trac system was checked anda control module was replaced. I am not positive butwith theeasy at which theyseemed to find the problem and not lights on, I assume there is a TSB on this issue...........

Old 11-26-2007, 10:28 PM

I have an 02 Explorer Ltd.and I am also having reoccuring problems with the Advancetrac. Light stays on and my 4x4 lights flash in the dash. The first time it happended, my battery had died for some reason and as soon as I boosted it, the problem began. I took it into my dealer and told him the problem and how it was obviously due to the battery dying and boost. They spent some time diagnosing and told me that it had nothing to do with it, that there was a pinch in the wiring going to the module! Whatever. They fixed it by straightening out the wire but told me I should replace the whole wiring harness, which I of course did not do. Just last week, I had my car into the dealer to getthe rear applique fixed (don't even get me started on that one!) and the morons left allof the doors open and drained the battery. When I went to pick it up,it wouldn't start. They gave me aboost (it was pouring rain) andthe lights began again.Now they are telling me that it is the module thatneeds replacing. The first time, I begrudgingly paid $300 to diagnose and fix it b/c Idrained the battery and boosted it. Now, they drain the battery and boost it and screw it up again and want me to payto fix it! Not sure if anyone has any ideas on what the problem may be, but hopefullyit helps to add pieces to the puzzle.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 AM

This may help somebody with the "TRAC OFF" issue.

Had the pesky "TRAC OFF" issue with my 2004 Freestar any time Iwas moving forward. This would occur as soon as I started moving, 50 feet down the road, 1/2 mile down the road or 10 miles down the road, there was no common denominator. Discovered that the CRUISE Control didn't work when the system turned off the TRAC CONTROL. Well, I put it up on ramps and crawled under the drivers side to the ABS controller bolted to the undercarriage. Took off the plastic cove and saw no visible issue with the unit or connector. Disconnected the positive battery terminal andconnected a jumper wire between the positive connector and the negative terminal to disipatethe voltage in the CPU/modules and system. Then I pulled the connector off from the back of the ABS module. Pins and power connectors has very light oxidation on them. Cleaned the pins and power connectors with Q-Tips and BRAKE-CLEEN (Red can)sprayed onto the Q-Tip. Applied a light coating of dielectrical grease to the connector itself and re-installed the connector. TRAC Control and CRUISE Controlis working as designed at this time.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:22 PM

USC, I posted about a year ago that there is a TSB for water intrusion into ABS/Traction module board. You may way to see if you can check internal components for water damage and silicon it back together.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 AM

I went thru almost every connector while I was working on my A/C system. Added dielectrical grease to almost all butt connectors and modules. I have a few more left to get this week-end since Fall is coming and I live in NY's salt belt. The only connector that I saw any type of oxidation was on the ABS pump/controller. This sets directly in-line with the L/F wheel water/crud slinging.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Default thanks everyone

thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. My wife's 2004 Monterey was having the same problem of uncommanded braking on dry pavement. Very intermittent. It might happen three times in one day, then not again for three months. I live in the very dry southwest US. We have a good dealership but they were unable to fix it after several tries.

We brought in print outs from this thread, and they tried cleaning the connectors, and now six months later, it looks like this is all fixed. No more recurrences since then. My wife loves our Monterey. Especially the classy looking grey, black interior.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Brand new here, TS my mother in laws car ('04 Freestar w/94K miles)...She's having the traction control light issue and also cruise control is inop. It looks like I need her to ask the dealer about that TSB first, then try UCS's info if the dealer fails (again, she's had the car to the dealer 4 times for this and the're useless so far).

USC, I am NOT an electrical kind of guy. Can you explain is baby talk how to do the battery cable ellectric dissipation thing for me please?

Last edited by 60DRB; 04-05-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 60DRB
Brand new here, TS my mother in laws car ('04 Freestar w/94K miles)...She's having the traction cotrol light issue and also cruise control is inop. It looks like I need her to ask the dealer about that TSB first, the try UCS's info if the dealer fails (again, she's had the car to the dealer 4 times for this and the're useless so far).

USC, I am NOT an electrical kind of guy. Can you explain is baby talk how to do the battery cable ellectric dissipation thing for me please?
Read my thread at:

https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford...c-issue-15109/

See page 2 for my "Update" as I think this may help you solve your problem.

I wouldn't spend any effort on the "electric dissipation thing"- total waste of your time.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Read the thread. Checked the vehicle over. See no evidence of moisture or corrosion in the electrical/plug areas in or around the ABS control. Greased it up anyway. Found no evidence of bad grounds anywhere. Car is very clean underneath.