Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a used 2004 Freestar?
Yes, they're very reliable
100.00%
Yes, but expect transmission issues
0%
Yes, but expect electrical / control issues
0%
Run Away, Very Fast
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Buy a 2004 Freestar

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Default Buy a 2004 Freestar

I am looking to finally retire my 96 Explorer with 230,000 miles on it. I ran across two 2004 Freestar Limiteds at the dealer yesterday. One had 73,000 on it, the other had 60,000 on it. Both were going for under $9000. I'm leaning toward the one with 60,000 on it. It was priced as high as $10,900 in November. Now they're trying to move it at $8300.

I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet but it looks pretty clean. The car drove well and everything seemed to be working fine.

Are these vans relatively reliable? Are there any big ticket items that seem to go often on them. I plan on taking good care of it. Is it a reasonable expectation to be able to put 100,000 more miles on a vehicle like this. I tend to put about 25K miles on a year these days.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Well, my opinion is " I love my 2004 Limited". Bought it brand new (4 miles on it). No major problems at 98,000 miles so far. It's had a couple of "MICRO-GREMLINS" that I was finally able to erradicate.

I did have the A/C sieze up on me. But that only took me about $500 to fix myself.

Mine was even crash tested by a Dodge Diesel 4x4 a couple of years back (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-freestar-17/2004-freestar-limited-wrecked-3-corners-15537/)

You'll probably hear horror stories about the transmission, but most of those are due to the LACK of maintainence. Specifically changing the tranny fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. The reason for this is that the engine is a RWD engine placed into a FWD position. To do this the coolant flow is reversed and causes the rear of the engine to run hotter than it normally would in a RWD configuration. Since it's hotter, the tranny fluid is exposed to higher than normal temperatures reducing the fluids servicable life. If you get either one, I would ensure that the tranny pan is dropped, filter replaced and 100% new fluid installed.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like the one with 73K miles is the only one left. It has a few more scratches on it than the other one did but it should serve our needs well. Negotiating with the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get the price down a little. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Like I said, if not done at 30K and 60K, I would have the dealer drop the tranny pan, replace the filter and install 100% new tranny fluid. Tell the Dealer "DO NOT USE" a transmission flush additive. You just want NEW fluid installed. And good luck.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:05 AM

Well the 04 got sold out from under me. I ended up finding a nice 06 Limited with 96K on it. I'm taking your advice on the transmission service and will have that done right away.

I just noticed you run water injection. Can you tell me how that's worked for you? Would you do it again?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm still running the water injection. It's a single port "PASSIVE" system that runs on vacuum. I run a 20/80 mix of 99% Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water during the winter and straight distilled water all other times. I'm looking into building an "ACTIVE" system that will inject water at the higher load RPMs when engine vacuum is lower (Passing and hill climbing). My MPG varies, but is still higher than without it. Right now, my MPG is about 17 back and forth to work. My driving falls under the "Severe Duty" at 9 miles one way, steady 550 feet climb from 1450 to 2000 feet and plowing thru snow and slush. My highway mileage is about 23MPG @ 75MPH with 98,000 miles on the clock. I'm also looking into running a set of silver plugs as they are even easier on the ignition system then what the iriduim plugs are. Silver is also the best conductor of electricity. I'm also pondering making a 100% "ACTIVE" system for the MKZ that "LISTENS" to the fuel injectors. But will have to get that one past the wife.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM

I have a 2004 Freestar Sport with the 4.2L Triton, i agree with Commonsense on the tranny fluid service, might i add i use Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid so temperature doesn't break it down. I had a Windstar previous also with tranny horror stories, but did the same with synthetic and sold it to the next door neighbour at 240,000km, its now at 350,oookm (224000miles) with the original tranny never rebuilt. Front drivers hub bearings tend to go due to heat from the engine ( yoy get a squeal above 30miles/hr(50km/h). Me and my friends Cat Converters went( poor highway power or acceleration) at the same 80,000km(50000miles) point both covered under the 8 year emmision warranty. Other than that, many trips to Florida from Canada with the family. Tough vehicle!!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM

I just bought a 2004 Freestar with 66,000+ milage on it and have also heard the Transmission horror stories. The trans. shifts great and no problems and I would like to keep it that way. Your suggestion about using synthetic fluid interests me but I have some questions.
I can drop the pan and change the filter and fluid myself but wonder about the fluid that is left in the torque converter. How can I be sure that I have drained it all?
Any special procedures that I should know about?

Freestar is Limited model with 4.2 engine

Last edited by Boomerang53; 04-04-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Left out some details
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Well, my opinion is " I love my 2004 Limited". Bought it brand new (4 miles on it). No major problems at 98,000 miles so far. It's had a couple of "MICRO-GREMLINS" that I was finally able to erradicate.

I did have the A/C sieze up on me. But that only took me about $500 to fix myself.

Mine was even crash tested by a Dodge Diesel 4x4 a couple of years back (2004 Freestar Limited wrecked on 3 corners - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners)

You'll probably hear horror stories about the transmission, but most of those are due to the LACK of maintainence. Specifically changing the tranny fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. The reason for this is that the engine is a RWD engine placed into a FWD position. To do this the coolant flow is reversed and causes the rear of the engine to run hotter than it normally would in a RWD configuration. Since it's hotter, the tranny fluid is exposed to higher than normal temperatures reducing the fluids servicable life. If you get either one, I would ensure that the tranny pan is dropped, filter replaced and 100% new fluid installed.
I am trying to get some answers on the best way to drain the Freestar Transmission. Does dropping the pan drain all of the fluid, including the cooler? Ford Windstar manual describes a complicated procedure involving disconnecting the cooler line and running the engine at an idle. Sounds risky for an amateur. I need to replace the filter anyway so dropping the pan would be no problem.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Drop the pan and replace the filter. You may need to use a small screw driver to pry out the old filter retaining seal. I prefer WIX filters. Box should contain a new filter, retaining seal, pan gasket. Clean all of the crud out of the pan. If you pul the magnet out of the bottom of the tranny pan, make sure you put it back in after cleaning. The pan gasket is a "RE-USABLE" gasket per Ford, but I always use a new filter. I apply a light coating of COPPER+ silicone to the pan surface and apply the gasket. Then I turn the pan over onto a flat surface and let it set while fluid continues to drip out of the tranny. After pretty much all fluid has finished dripping (couple cups of coffee), apply a light coating of COPPER+ silicone to the pan gasket and wipe off any fluid from the transmission mating surface. Apply the pan up against the transmission and run the pan bolts in by hand and then snug them. Let it set for a few minutes, then tighten the pan bolts up, but not too tight.

All of this will net about 6 quarts of fluid with the remaining old fluid (about 8 quarts) in the converter, lines and radiator. Since I was installing AMSOIL, I topped my transmission off with Mercon V and then took it to my friends shop and paid him to perform a fluid flush with my AMSOIL since the lines are kind of a pain to disconnect to do the engine run/pump and fill in the garage.

Plus, I let him have the mess to contend with. I'll be a 100,000 miles by the end of this month and he'll get it in his shop for another full fluid replacement with AMSOIL.

If you do it yourself, you need to add fluid as fast as it comes out so that you don't run the pump dry causing pump failure.

My personal opinion is adding 6 quarts of fresh Mercon V to the tranny just to have it replaced again by a good shop is well worth the money to ensure a "FULL" fluid replacement is done.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 04-07-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Buy a 2004 Freestar