Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Came with keyfob?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 01:08 AM
Default Came with keyfob?

What other way to determine if my van originally came with a keyfob to lock and unlock.
Dealer look up my Vin said "yes"

Been reading how to program keyfob. Suppose to turn key to on 8 times and should hear lock but I didn't. So will new key fob work or not?

Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM

I would start with making sure the battery in the key fob is good.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM

The reason i asked is because i dont have one and want one. Not my keyfob not working.
Originally Posted by hanky
I would start with making sure the battery in the key fob is good.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:01 PM

This is what distance does ! The only way to know for sure is to go buy one and try it.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:08 AM

yea i ordered one without transponder .

Anyone know if programming are all the same for ford?
Which is turn key off/on for 8 times.

Originally Posted by hanky
This is what distance does ! The only way to know for sure is to go buy one and try it.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:12 AM

Did you manually unlock the door before starting the programming procedure? If so, then it will not work. You need to electronically unlock the door(s) prior to performing the procedure.

You must have all remote entry transmitters (maximum of four) available before beginning this procedure.

To reprogram the remote entry transmitters:

1. Ensure the vehicle is electronically unlocked.

2. Put the key in the ignition.

3. Turn the key from the "OFF" position to "ON".

4. Cycle eight times rapidly (within 10 seconds) between the "OFF" position and "ON". Note: The eighth turn must end in the "ON" position.

5. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming mode has been activated.

6. Within 20 seconds press any button on the remote entry transmitter.

Note: If more than 20 seconds have passed you will need to start the procedure over again.

7. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that this remote entry transmitter has been programmed.

8. Repeat Step 6 to program each additional remote entry transmitter.

9. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position after you have finished programming all of the remote entry transmitters.

10. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming mode has been exited.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 07-25-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 AM

i dont believe so. I will try that when i get a chance. i dont have the fob yet but to see if i could get to programming part.
thanks.

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Did you manually unlock the door before starting the programming procedure? If so, then it will not work. You need to electronically unlock the door(s) prior to performing the procedure.

You must have all remote entry transmitters (maximum of four) available before beginning this procedure.

To reprogram the remote entry transmitters:

1. Ensure the vehicle is electronically unlocked.

2. Put the key in the ignition.

3. Turn the key from the "OFF" position to "ON".

4. Cycle eight times rapidly (within 10 seconds) between the "OFF" position and "ON". Note: The eighth turn must end in the "ON" position.

5. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming mode has been activated.

6. Within 20 seconds press any button on the remote entry transmitter.

Note: If more than 20 seconds have passed you will need to start the procedure over again.

7. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that this remote entry transmitter has been programmed.

8. Repeat Step 6 to program each additional remote entry transmitter.

9. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position after you have finished programming all of the remote entry transmitters.

10. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming mode has been exited.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:28 PM

So try to go into programming mode for the second time and it does. Thank common sense. My key should be here tonight or tomorrow.
I'd also removed the transponder from my key and attach hidden by the ignition. Cheapest duplication I could find was $55.
I'm planning to install remote starter so I would save on the bypass also.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:22 PM

So key came. Van went into programming mode but button on key doesn't do anything. Open up to see if battery is good noticed it has transponder. So is it the van or the key?

Old 08-15-2016, 08:39 AM

had it try programming, blank transponder not recognized(not compatible). Key was ruin during the cut, not usable. So the whole keyfob is not compatible with my van, wonder why it doesn't work during programming mode.

Quick Reply: Came with keyfob?