Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Door lock stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Question Door lock stuttering

Recently my driver door lock has started stuttering, it was only doing it when unlocking but tonight it started doing it when I lock it as well. Sometimes I must hit the unlock button three times to get the drivers door unlocked. Will this door lock eventually stop working alltogether? Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Is this something that only a mechanic can fix and do you know if it is an expensive repair? Thanks!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by colorado2mama
Recently my driver door lock has started stuttering, it was only doing it when unlocking but tonight it started doing it when I lock it as well. Sometimes I must hit the unlock button three times to get the drivers door unlocked. Will this door lock eventually stop working alltogether? Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Is this something that only a mechanic can fix and do you know if it is an expensive repair? Thanks!
Do you have a keyless entry system? If you do, is that power lock acting up regardless of your way of activating it (as in, remote vs door switch)? If it behaves the same, I would suspect a problem with either the lock actuator (you can get one pretty cheaply on eBay), with the relay in the remote entry unit or simply with the wiring. Take down the inside cover of the door, identify the two wires connecting to the lock actuator, disconnect them from the car's harness and try actuating it with an external battery - this should show you if the actuator is bad or not.

If the remote entry works fine but the switch is causing the stutter, then I would blame the switch - it's not uncommon to have water entered into the switch and damaging the contacts.

HTH .. let us know how it goes. Good luck!