Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Angry Engine

Hi Im a newbee and I really need help. I have a 2004 ford freestar and I have been having problems with it for the past few years. I repaired the transmission last year and again having troubles with the shift. I changed the tps last week ran ok for a day or two and again the engine stall and when it reaches 40 mph the motor shuts off. This happened to my wife three time while driving my daughter to school. I have searched the forum and applied a couple of things but had no luck. I dont know what else to do. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 PM

Does the engine shut down when you hold the RPM up when in park?
When it does quit , does it restart easily?
Do you know when the fuel filter was changed last?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 AM

Thanks for your help hanky. I changed the fuel filter about 10 months ago. But I will change it again today when I get home from work. The engine shuts off at 40 mph while driving most of the time I turn it on while driving I shift to neutral.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM

Hi: My wife just got home from work and I was not able to change the fuel filter cause it was pouring cats and dogs but my wife tells me that the freestar didnt give her any troubles except for hard shifting on the trans. She drove at 55 mph, no problem.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 PM

hanky: I was able to change the fuel filter eventhough the vehicle ran very good for the last two days, but today I took about one hour and a half to pick up my wife at her work cause I had to drive at 5 mph because If i pressed the gas pedal the freestar would shut off. In park or neutral the freestars rpm are pretty steady but when put in drive the rpm get all crazy and the needle starts to go up and down. any help will be greatly apreciated.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:46 AM

I could be wrong , but It sounds like the ignition system has a bad/loose connection .
If you remove the plug from the ignition module and reinstall it , see what happens.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:21 AM

Thanks Ill check that out. Ill keep posted.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Ok what Ive done and results.
1: changed the spark
2: changed wires
3: dismounted the cowl and mounted
4: took out pcm blew dry with air and mounted
5: replaced the coil pack
Results: Having the same problems. In park no problem, press gas pedal, no problem. In drive no problem, press gas pedal motor shuts off. I bought a OBD II code scanner and I get code 340 and 2198. If anyone have an idea as to what else I can try please let me know. Thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2011, 01:05 PM

I believe the code P0340 refers to a camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction.
" ' P2198 refers to stuck rich condition on bank 2 , sensor 1
If the vehicle has a v 6 engine , bank 2 is the fwd bank, sensor 1 is the o2 sensor in the fwd bank exhaust pipe before the converter.
The 2198 code could be the result of either excess fuel to the fwd bank or the cam sensor circuit not sending the correct firing sequence to the ign system.
If the problem is the cam sensor , there are times when the vehicle is started and the right sequence happens to be picked up the vehicle will run fine until shut down and restarted, if the right sequence is not indexed, engine does strange things.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 PM

Ok, does that mean that I have to change the o2 sensor? The rpm in park is about 625, is that correct? or should it be closer to 1000 rpm? if it should be closer to 1000 what can I do to bring it up?

Quick Reply: Engine