Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Ford freestar 05 A/C problem even after filling 134A

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:01 AM
Default Ford freestar 05 A/C problem even after filling 134A

I have Ford freestar 2005 his ac was not working I mean I got the air but not cold because there was no gas in pipes, I have added one can of 12oz 134a, now the compressor pully is running but still the air is not cold. Can anyone help me please? Thanks

Old 06-19-2016, 12:49 PM

find the underhood a/c refrigerant sticker. it will tell you the capacity of the system. the system is probably undercharged.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 PM

thanks helping me i appreciate it.
i dont know but i think it should have rear AC also i mean there are some holes for the air to come for rear passenger, freestar 2005 is family kind van.
i want to share some pics maybe it can help you understand better my system because i dont know nothing about.
for the pressure i already put 12 ounce and the little needle reach in red area between 65 to 70 psi.

IMG-0622.JPG
1.jpg
2.jpg
IMG-0568.JPG
IMG-0619.JPG
IMG-0621.JPG

P.S. we already install new alternator the last one was finished i was not able to start the motor.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:44 PM

charging a system that way is inaccurate.

so assuming the entire contents went into the system your at 3/4 of a pound. You need 2lbs 4 oz more to fill a front only system.

have a look at the heater controls to determine if its a single or dual system.

follow the instructions on the can. it may want you to run the a/c system to draw refrigerant from the can. weigh the cans before and after to determine the amount that went in.

make sure to re-install the service port caps as they are a seal to keep dirt out and refrigerant in. without the caps...a properly sealed system will be low within a year.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:10 AM

Why the way is inaccurate? What I did wrong?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:50 AM

1st, I would never let an engine get that cruddy (try a good dose of simple green a few times), a clean engine is a happy engine. A clean engine also runs cooler. You also have GREEN growing on your battery terminal(s) (a problem looking for a place to happen).

Anyways, back to your A/C. Those goofy gages are the most useless things to use when working on A/C systems.

You have dial A/C (Front & Rear). I have circled your rear return line in red. Since you have dual A/C, your system will take 56 oz. of R-134a for a complete fill. The easiest thing to do is to recover what refrigerant is in the system, pull a vacuum for 1 hour, close off the system and ensure that the vacuum hold for at least 30 minutes. The if using 12 oz. cans, add 5 cans to the system. DO NOT use any cans with oil or sealer in them as too much oil/sealer in the system can and will liquid lock the compressor (more worms than you want to play with).

Attached Thumbnails Ford freestar 05 A/C problem even after filling 134A-fftqggiceel_img-0619.jpg  
Old 06-21-2016, 06:28 PM

Hi
So I spent more 80$ today and I bought 6 can of refrigent 6oz each and 1 can of stop leak 4oz, first I put the stop leak and then 6 can, it took me around 2 min for each can to be empty. After all that now the A/C is super good functional I got the Cold air finally very happy. I am just scared if there is leak and i loose all the refrigerant in next few days I will feel very stupid person because the total I spent is around 140$ which will go in garbage. Let's hope stop leak won't let the gas go out.
Thanks you help me.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This pic show when I was charging the 6th can with fully ac on high speed,
image.jpeg

This pic show when the car is on but ac stopped.
image.jpeg

This pic show ac and car not runnig at all.
image.jpeg

What do you think every thing is correct or i should put more or it is overcharged?

Old 06-21-2016, 06:39 PM

sealer is nasty. now no shop can work on your a/c system or they will contaminate and damage their $5000 a/c machine. Anything at our shop that has sealer or cocktail refrigerant goes back out to the parking lot.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:58 PM

??? Sorry i dont understood

Old 06-27-2016, 11:31 AM

Why no mechanic will repair? The sealant is made for seal any leaks.
I still have somewhere a leak becaus I feel now after one week the air is not enough cool compare to first day when I put 6 cans plus this one came sealent.

Quick Reply: Ford freestar 05 A/C problem even after filling 134A