Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Freestar no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Default Freestar no start

'04 3.9 Freestar, no start condition. Battery seems strong, 1 click when turning the key, sometimes accompanied by a soft whirring noise. Fully charged booster pak makes no difference. Cables are good & relatively new. Tapped the relays in the fusebox near the battery, no help. It is stuck in a parking spot, cold out & the only time I have to look at it is late at night so I am dreading the expected response LOL.... My suspecion is that there is a solenoid on thee started & that that or the started has failed....

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2015, 09:30 AM

A little trick that sometimes works.
If you can, while someone is trying to start the vehicle give the starter a rap with a hammer. If alone, rap it once or twice then go try to start it. If it is something like a stuck or worn brush in the starter you may get lucky enough to get it started . If the whirring noise you hear is the starter motor running that just means the starter drive is frozen and not engaging the flywheel teeth. If you allow the starter to run for 5-10 seconds and no more, once or twice it may heat it up enough to allow it to move and engage the flywheel. Let us know if that did not wok.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 PM

Thanks Hanky, I went through the hammer trick on the Aerostar a few weeks ago lol. On that one the starter just went "thunk" a few judicious raps took care of it.

The Freestar made a totally different noise...

We tried to start the Freestar a few times to no avail. On the 1st day above 32° degrees it started & has been fine since.

Now all I have to do is find a "new" rear for the Grand Marq....