Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Fuel gauge issue

Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Question Fuel gauge issue

Just testing the water here.

Every so often after I put gas into the tank the fuel gauge of my 2004 Freestar will take a long time to go up. Regardless of how little gas there is in the tank or how full I fill it, it will happen.

This only happens about every 5 or 6 fills, but it has been like this since the vehicle was new. My father in law also has the same problem with his 2008 FreeSTYLE since new as well.

Is this common for Ford? It doesn't affect anything so not a huge issue, but would like to know if there is a fix if possible.

Thanks,

Stefan

Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM

I have talked to my dealer about this, as I have the same issue, but not as frequent. I also get a check engine light too. It has to do with the slosh circuit, and for some reason the computer thinks the fuel is sloshing around. I didn't know the Freestyle is having the same issue, but most likely they used the same electronic components in the dash from the Freestar to the Freestyle.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 AM

Your fuel gauge problems could be due to sulfur contamination of the resistor board in the fuel sender unit itself (basically the 'float' assembly in the gas tank, attached to the fuel pump assembly). The sulfur, which is a byproduct of the gasoline manufacturing process builds up on the unit and causes this prloblem.

The dealer repair is to replace the unit, which is very pricey due to the cost of a PUMP/SENDING unit and the removal of the gas tank.

One thing you can try that is inexpensive and a lot of times will resolve the issue is to buy 3 bottles of "Techron Concentrate Plus" or "Berryman B-12" fuel cleaner. Run this in 3 consecutive tanks of fuel, thus the 3 bottles.

I've never had a fuel sending unit issue, but then again, I run AMSOIL PI Fuel additive in my tank at their old standard of 1 oz. PI per 10 gallons of gas.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM

it,s probably just a tight needle on the gauge ! as long as it,s working is the main thing !

Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Your fuel gauge problems could be due to sulfur contamination of the resistor board in the fuel sender unit itself (basically the 'float' assembly in the gas tank, attached to the fuel pump assembly). The sulfur, which is a byproduct of the gasoline manufacturing process builds up on the unit and causes this problem.

The dealer repair is to replace the unit, which is very pricey due to the cost of a PUMP/SENDING unit and the removal of the gas tank.

One thing you can try that is inexpensive and a lot of times will resolve the issue is to buy 3 bottles of "Techron Concentrate Plus" or "Berryman B-12" fuel cleaner. Run this in 3 consecutive tanks of fuel, thus the 3 bottles.

I've never had a fuel sending unit issue, but then again, I run AMSOIL PI Fuel additive in my tank at their old standard of 1 oz. PI per 10 gallons of gas.
Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

UCS, I'll give your idea a try and see it helps the situation.

PavementPilot, ahh the infamous pull out your Credit Card light just to find out it's only a CO2 sensor that's wonky. My dad wonders why the automakers don't just put the $ sign as the icon instead of an engine as that's closer to reality as 95% it simply signifies, spend money to be told its nothing important.

My father in law just bought a new Ford Escape (2011 model, not the newly redesigned one). Since he also had the problem before with his Freestyle (aka Taurus X) if it shows up in his Escape then I'll be leaning that it is the float/slosh sending unit causing all the problems.

Agreed Bandit, like I said it doesn't hinder performance, usability or comfort of the car. And since after a day the fuel gauge corrects itself, it not like I'll run out of gas somewhere on the highway.

Thanks again.