Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

grinding noise when driving

Old 11-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Default grinding noise when driving

2004 Freestar---due to work and other duties, i havent had time to really investigate....but when driving in town (10-30mph) there is a nasty grinding like noise on driver side (cant tell front or back) its very noticible.....if i speed up like say over 40, it tends to die down.....when pulling in my parking spot, when braking, it seem to grind more, but of a different tone.........i had both front rotors and brakes replaced a few months back with (raybestos) ........ i had wheel hub replaced, but that noise was more a chirp/squeek sound when going bad.............any idea what i should be looking at? the brakes and rotors look fine still, and nothing feels overly hot around wheel when i get home from work (about 30 min drive).....thanx

*also wanted to add, when turning, it doesnt seem to get worse or anything, and dies down a little, not fully though

Last edited by soopacee; 11-03-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:22 AM

The only thing I can think of would be brake pad gone and you're running metal to metal. Not saying you didn't verify, but I would double check to ensure that all of the brake pad material is still intact on the inside brake pad plate. I had a new MOTORCRAFT pad pop off from the backing plate on my Freestar several years ago after having them replaced under warranty. Wasn't a happy camper.

The only other thing that would make a grinding noise would be a wheel bearing or the CV joint in the drive axle.

"when turning, it doesn't seem to get worse or anything, and dies down a little, not fully though"

Sounds like the CV joint going bad and binding when turning.

Side note for the next time or other Freestar owners.

The squeak/chirp you heard was actually from the hub seal (bearings are OK). Due to the amount of polymers in the seals to withstand the high operating temps, they are hard and not very flexible to begin with. Then as they get older, they tend to squeak/squeal/chip about the 30MPH speed. The easy way to verify this is to spray some silicone on the seal and take it for a drive. It will disappear for a short while.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:39 PM

thank you

i guess regardless how tired i am, i will pop my tire off and see what its lookin like

thanx again!

Old 11-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Default Update:

First off thanx 4 help, I checked and the driver side back rotor was a mess, the brake pad stuck......so I took it to shop.....needed new rotors on rear, new brakes on rear and a new caliper on driver rear......was roughly $470 at ford dealer......just for future reference

Old 11-07-2016, 03:55 AM

Glad to hear that you got it fixed. Sorry to hear that is cost you that much.

Hence...The reason I tear my brakes apart every spring and fall. The slid pins tend to crud up and seize if not done. At least in my salt belt area. I normally find at least 2 pins in the front and 1 in the rear that are or almost seized every spring after running in the winter crud.

Also, if you don't exercise your park break, your rear brakes won't adjust properly and the rear rotors will start to rust up and the calipers will seize.

I exercise my park brake once a week by setting and releasing it 10 times in a row. On the last set, I put the van into drive and try to move it to ensure that the rear brakes are set and working properly.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Glad to hear that you got it fixed. Sorry to hear that is cost you that much.

Hence...The reason I tear my brakes apart every spring and fall. The slid pins tend to crud up and seize if not done. At least in my salt belt area. I normally find at least 2 pins in the front and 1 in the rear that are or almost seized every spring after running in the winter crud.

Also, if you don't exercise your park break, your rear brakes won't adjust properly and the rear rotors will start to rust up and the calipers will seize.

I exercise my park brake once a week by setting and releasing it 10 times in a row. On the last set, I put the van into drive and try to move it to ensure that the rear brakes are set and working properly.

Wise words....i live in PA so salt is def a problem.....I will take that advice, thank you

Old 11-08-2016, 12:34 PM

You got it...Always happy to help where I can...