Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Default Heated Seats

Well I vowed I would never own another Ford but the price was right. Just decided to try the heated seats and the drivers side won't work. Indicater lights on dash says it's on, but still have a cold bum...passenger side works ok. I bought the van used off lease fom a wholesaler with 80,000km on my 04 freestar. Anyone else have a heated seat issue and what did you find. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Default RE: Heated Seats

First thing to check it you have current to the power plug under the seat, if there is power you will have to get a new element. Also check if there should be heat at the backrest, you can comparethis withthe passenger seat. Check your manual. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM

Follow up. Checked the shop manual which claims check the following:
Fuses.
Wiring, terminals or connectors.
DATC module. (Dual Automatic Temperature Control) switches on dash
Heated seat module.
Heated seat cushion element.
Heated seat back element.
So you should have heated back elements.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 PM

The passenger seat works just fine and so does the heated back seat on passengers side. I have no heat from anywhere on the drivers side and the lights on the dash are acknowleding that the button for the heated seat is turned on. I will have to find the time to try and diagnose the problem before the cold sets in. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 PM

Which wire bundle goes to the seat heaters?! There must be a dozen of those under there! BTW, my dealer told me that it is important to not have anything under the seats because it can unplug the connections under the seats. Not always easy with children getting in and out of the van all day long. Thanks for any help

Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM

My wifes 2004 Freestar also has the same problem on the drivers side. I found that the element in the seat bottom was "open". Since the seat back and bottom are wired in series, neither will work. I'm pretty decent on the electronic and mechanical side, but not familiar with the upholstery. Isreplacing the elementsomething that anyone can shed light on?
Thanks,
Joe

Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM

I have the same problem with my electrical problem prone 2005 Ford Freestar. Someone mentioned a shop manual. I have never been able to find a manual for this vehicle. I would seriously love to get my hands on one. Anyone know where to get one?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 AM

Shop manuals pop up on EBAY all the time and you can order them from Ford for much higher. There should be an order form in the back of your owners manual. The 2004's are the hardest to find on EBAY while the 2005-2007 are more common.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 AM

If you have a decent Multimeter handy you can at least trouble shoot your seat heaters for proper operation.

First find the Connector to the heater coil. I am guessing under the seat. Disconnect it.

On the supply side with the seat heater turned on check for 12 volts DC (Simple enough)

Now, on the Coil side switch the Multimeter to Resistance Mode (Ohms) and look for a coil resistance somewhere in between 3 to 30 Ohms.

Just thought I would throw some input into this.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM

I found the shop manuals on ebay for a total price of $38. Pretty good considering Haynes manuals cost almost as much and are not as far in depth.

I got to step N5 in the manual for pinpoint test N: The heated seat is inoperative - driver. The resistance was less than 5 ohms between C359-4 and C364-2 bu there was no ohms atall between C359-4 and the ground. The manual told me to repair circuit 1060. This didn't seem right to me for some reason so I checked on the seat that works and got the smae results. Certainly I did something wrong. I checked for continuity between C359-4 and ground and found none. The wiring diagram says there should be (I think. I know very little about wiring schematics). Am I just wasting a lot of time? Should I stop scratching my head and go ahead and buy the heating element and hope I'm not asting my money?

For the guy looking for the heated seat module, it's the one with the connector with 12 wires going to it, 6 on top and 6 on bottom. It's mostly recangular in shape. It's the only one under there with 12 wires coming from it. When viewing under the driver seat from behind (after removing the 2nd row seat), you'll see it on your right hand side. It's the black box-like thing under there (not the one on your left side). Hope that was descriptive enough.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats