Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

High torque on drivetrain makes a machinegun sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Now that you have narrowed it down to an engine problem, can you get the engine to do it in gear with your foot on the brake? Also take a close look at the vibration damper(crank pulley). Is the engine cutting out at a hi rate of speed and load?
I didn't believe it until I saw it , but I did see a similar situation where the engine ran with a broken crankshaft. Not to give you needless worry, but at this point I don't have any other suggestions without being there.
Does not appear to be an engine problem, that last video was just to check the IMRC system, it checked out fine it looks, you can see the linkage smoothly move back and forth in that video. We see the whole powertrain shake when the gun noise happens.

Earlier I set the parking brake, opened the hood, started the engine, jammed a stick between the seat and brake, put it in drive, stood next to the fender (not in front or I could have gotten run over), and pressed the throttle with my finger, and it made the noise. It sounded like it was coming from inside the tranny, more on tranny side of vehicle than engine side. It could have been the engine mounts, but unlikely, since the mount would just creak once when the torque is applied, then it would creak again when released, not continuous like a machinegun. I really think it is inside the tranny. I need to find an expert on the AX4N/4F50N transmissions.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:49 PM

There should be an inspection cover on the bottom of the flywheel housing, try to remove it and look at the flexplate where the converter is bolted to the flywheel.
There is a chain drive in the trans and it could be there,but the trans will need to be removed and partially disassembled to confirm.

Last edited by hanky; 02-20-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
There should be an inspection cover on the bottom of the flywheel housing, try to remove it and look at the flexplate where the converter is bolted to the flywheel.
There is a chain drive in the trans and it could be there,but the trans will need to be removed and partially disassembled to confirm.
I figure that chain is in the lubricated area of the transmission, looks like it is behind the weird vertically mounted valve body. But opening that bellhousing cover will let me see any metal debris in the bellhousing, probably a flexplate bolted to the crankshaft, with a few bolts bolting the flexplate to the torque converter.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Old 02-25-2017, 11:45 AM

Found a guy who has been overhauling transmissions a long time, showed him the vid, he agrees it's the drive chain. I'll overhaul the whole tranny when I get some money and a place to do it. New clutches and seals, chain and sprockets.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:18 AM

Being a 2005, I would also have the VIN checked at a Ford Dealer to see if the torque converter recall was performed and when. I know a couple of folks that had the torque converter replaced and ended up with a new bad one. They ended up with a faulty one that was still in the supply system. Which is why I waited over 2 years (and numerous reminders from Ford) after the recall started to get mine done.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 02-27-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Being a 2005, I would also have the VIN checked at a Ford Dealer to see if the torque converter recall was performed and when. I know a couple of folks that had the torque converter replaced and ended up with a new bad one. They ended up with a faulty one that was still in the supply system. Which is why I waited over 2 years (and numerous reminders from Ford) after the recall started to get mine done.
Mine is a 2007, did they fix the problem for that model year?

I'll check it good with a flashlight, but it would be nice to have all parts already shipped to me and unpacked when I pull the trans out, new torque converter too maybe, and I'll ask if whatever one I am about to order has improved pump splines.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 AM

If the recall was never done I wonder if I can still get it done, 10 years later and being a 2nd owner.

I could bring a reman trans and tell them to put it in instead of the old trans, or take trans out and give it to me, I could go rebuild it.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:16 AM

Sorry about that. The torque converter recall was for the 2004-2005 model years only...Don't know why I had 2005 stuck in my head.

I do know that the 2006-2007's also had torque converter issues.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM

Nice information.Thanks for sharing.