Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Install "Start" button

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Default Install "Start" button

Due to the recent onset of Arthritis in my right hand I am finding it more and more difficult to turn the ignition switch to the "Start" position.
Has anyone had experience in rewiring the starter wires from the ignition switch to a "start" button. It is no problem turning the ignition switch to the run position. It is the strong return spring from the start position that gives me fits. It seems to me that if I could identify the start wires to the ignition switch and bypass the switch to a Start button that should solve my problem. Any Ideas? I love my Freestar and would hate to give it up but I hate to think that I would have to ask a stranger to "please start my car so I can go home".

Last edited by Boomerang53; 04-18-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Add to post
Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 AM

Years back cars and trucks did have a start button to start the engine. Should be pretty easy for a good tech to install that for you.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 PM

I could install it myself if I had a wiring diagram to identify the starter circuit.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 AM

Please don't get upset with my next question.
If you can squeeze the pliers to crimp and install the wiring can you use a pair of pliers to turn the key to start the car?

Old 04-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Default Start Button Kit

It is still amazing to me how much information is available on the internet. Sometimes it takes a while to find what you are looking for, but it is usually out there somewhere if you don't get discouraged and give up.
I found "Start Button" kits, both in auto parts and accessories, and on ebay. For less than $20 I ordered a kit designed to be compatible with my 2004 Freestar. Installs a Lighted Start button in one of the Cigarette lighter type power plugins on the dash. Has its own starter relay so starter can be activated by the button when the ignition is turned on, or in the conventional manner by using the start function in the ignition switch.
Thanks to all for responding.