Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Rear Wheels don't spin freely

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Default Rear Wheels don't spin freely

This is a new one to me after 45 years of owning cars.

My new 05 Freestar, removed rear wheels for something else I was doing. I noticed that when I put each wheel back on, with lug nuts only finger tight, the wheel spun freely, as expected. But as soon as I turned just one lug nut a little with the lug wrench, the wheel locked up. Back it off, spins fine.

Obviously, it is not so locked that it doesn't spin when driving, although it must be killing the gas mileage

What is causing this?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 AM

Check your SLIDE PINS for the rear caliper brackets. They could be crudded up and not allowing the caliber to relax all the way. When the tire isn't tight, it can free-float evenly between the pads. When tightened up, the roator is forced against the inner or outer pad. To fix, just remove the caliper bracket, pull the pins, clean the bracket with a drill bit, re-grease the slide pins and put everything back together. I'm in the salt-belt, so I do my Freestars front and rear brakes every spring and fall. Will be tearing my brakes apart next month for their fall cleaning.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 PM

Sounds logical . I will do that soon.

I'm also in the salt belt. On Monday I take it in for the third row seat rust recall. That's why I had the rear wheels off in the first place. I ground and cut away all the rust, screwed pieces of galvanized sheet metal over the holes, and slathered both sides with roofing cement. Wanted to do that before the recall work begins, because they don't actually fix any rust, just put new brackets and wheel well shields.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 PM

You sure called that right. The whole area looked like a big blob of rust. Took several minutes to pry out the pads, they were shot. Could not even get the slide pins out, they were rusted in ( I do auto maintenance at a friend's place because not allowed at my condo, and didn't have any pliers or vice grips with me). Rotor was scored.

I just ordered pads, rotors, and new caliper pins from Rockauto, should get sometime next week. I will only drive it tomorrow to drop off for the recall work, then home a couple days later, until I can re-do the rear brakes.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:57 AM

Don't forget to do the fronts and also get a set of new slid pin rubbers if they don't come with the pins. Auto Zone carries them. I'm sure other Parts outlets do also.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Hi! In my 2005 Ford Freestar transmission Failure frequently without any warning. I don't knowthe reason. Can anyone help me?