Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Removing cup holder tray

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Default Removing cup holder tray

How do you remove the cup holder tray for a really good cleaning? My M-I-L dumped 3 packs of sugar in the cup holder instead of her coffee.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Remove the two retaining buttons on each side of the console (plastic screws w/inserts) and slid outward. Disconnect the two power plug connectors and the whole bottom section will now be in your hands. Once in your hands you will be able to slide the cup holder out of the assembly by unlatching the retaining tab, or like me, just spray the whole thing down with TUFF STUFF and then spray rinse with HOT water. Blow dry with air hose or wipe dry. Add Turtle Wax F21 protectorant for a new look. Re-install. Have M-I-L have sugar added before recieving the coffee and use a SIPPY CUP

Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Default 2006 Freestar cup holder/lower console removal

Hello All, new member. Thanks for all of the great info. I've removed the four small plastic screws on the lower console. The thread indicates I should be able to pull the unit out and remove the two power connectors. I've pulled on the lower console but I'm getting a good bit of resistance. Is this normal? Don't want to break something before I start pulling more aggresively. 2006 Freestar!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 AM

Just out of curiosity, did you pull out the plastic inserts that the plastic screws were in? If you did, the whole lower Cup holder/storage unit should slide straight forward for you.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 AM

I did remove the plastic inserts as well. The sides and bottom are free. It feels like the resistance is from the top front where the power adapters are located. I thought maybe they were attached in some way and needed to be removed before the lower console would slide out.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 AM

After reading your last post...I just had to remove mine again. Unless Ford did something just to screw with folks for the 2006-2007 models (which wouldn't surprise me), there are two plastic tabs with spring clips on them in each upper corner. That is probably the resistance you're talking about. You can probably use a putty knife to pop them out. I have enclosed a picture of mine. The spring tabs are in the red circles. Disregard my toggle switch wiring in the middle (You won't have anything in the middle).

Attached Thumbnails Removing cup holder tray-freestar-cup-holder.jpg  

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 09-05-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Great picture. Same clips used to secure the sliding door panels as well. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 PM

No problem. Same clips on the rear hatch panel, dash, dash trim and anywhere else Ford engineers could think of using them.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Was able to remove the console. Did a search and can't find much on why the cup holder drawer does not stay closed. When I accelerate the cup holder drawer slides open so the "stops" are not working. Any ideas?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Default Cup holder tray sliding out

Just a quick note to help others. I removed the lower console to repair the cup holder tray. It was sliding out upon acceleration indicating the stops were not holding it in place. Once removed, I discovered the cup holder slide (black piece that houses the cup holder tray and attaches to the console trim) had separated from the console trim. Due to this problem the cup holder drawer could not be "pushed" into the slide far enough to engage the "locks". I solved the problem by reattaching the slide to the console trim. There are four really poorly designed "nubs" on the slide as well as two screws that hold it to the console trim. The screws are on top so the upper portion of the slide was OK. The lower portion is the section that separated causing the problem. I reattached the lower portion with small sheet metal screws threaded into the plastic slide and console trim. You can't see them when everything is installed.

Quick Reply: Removing cup holder tray