Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

replacing cruise control switches

Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Default replacing cruise control switches

hi guys i was wondering how do you replace the cruise control switches on the steering wheel on a 2006 ford freestar and how do you get the air bad cover off thank you for any help

Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm not 100% certain on how to replace the switches but between the information provided in my Haynes repair manual I have and inspecting my own steering wheel this is what I believe.

VERY IMPORTANT: Because the vehicle steering wheel is equipped with an airbag that could potentially deploy causing injury it is recommended that you disable the system before working on the steering wheel.

Disabling the Airbag system:

a) Turn the ignition switch to Off.
b) On Freestar/Montery models, remove the RCM fuse in the Smart Junction Block behind the driver's knee bolster (under instrument panel left of brake pedal) and watch the airbag light on the instrument panel (turn key to on position). When the light is steady (not blinking) for more then 30 seconds, this ensures the correct fuse has been removed. Turn the key to off.
c) Detach the cable from the negative battery terminal first, then detach the positive cable. Wait two minutes for the electronics module backup power supply to be depleted.

On my 2004 Freestar steering wheel, there are 3 access ports. 2 small round ports on either side of the steering wheel and one access panel on the bottom. The panel gives you access to two electrical connectors and the retaining bolt or pinion to remove the steering wheel with.

I removed one of the 2 round access ports but wasn't able to see far enough inside if there was a screw that would allow the removal of the buttons, but I would suspect so as it would be bad design to require the removal of the whole steering wheel just to remove a couple of small buttons. Give it a try and let us know the results.

If you do decide to remove the steering wheel, the Haynes manual notes that a new pinion retaining bolt is needed for re-installation so be certain to have one before removal.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Default 2006 freestar

just joined the club here and just worked on my 2004 freestar. this also has 2 round access holes and on the bottom a trap door with air bag wires and i assume something for the horn .has a bad cruise switch and had quite a time figuring out how to get air bag out or moved enough to get to switch which has only 2 screws one top one botom. if you look in the side of the access hole on the 2004 you will see what looks like a round wire towards the front and it is a spring that runs from the top down and makes a u there and continues up to the other side actually its easier to stick your finger in and feel for this. I used a screw driver and gently but firmly pushed first one side that poped out about a half inch then the other side.the bottom was still in and took me a while to figure out but thru the access door on the bottom is where the u goes up and i used the screwdriver to push up on this and the bottom poped out.just enough room without unhooking air bag to do your thing and see how spring works and where it hooks up.I took old screwdriver and ground a grove to keep from slipping off.I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE HOW TO DEACTIVATE AIR BAG SO GET RELIABLE ADVICE ON THAT. ONCE AGAIN THIS IS 2004.