Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Sliding door issues

Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Default Sliding door issues

My 04 money pit has decided it's time I learn all about sliding doors, now that I know lots about transmissions and ac systems. Mine is a manual door and it won't open without a good yank or close without slamming it. I have a collection of little green ***** on the drip ledge and suspect they are bearings. Anyone had this part disassembled before? I would like to have the new parts in hand before I take it apart.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Default Fixed it!

I found the problem, there is a cable mechanism on the drivers side that tells the sliding door when the fuel filler door is open and it is supposed to stop the door from opening. This unit had a broken plastic lever at the far end of it simulating the fuel door was open. I drilled out the rivets and threw the whole assembly in the scrap. Problem gone, forever!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:13 AM

Nice...Thanks for the update. Nothing like plastic thing-a-ma-jigs to make our life easier. Especially something something that get used all the time. Did you ever determine what your "collection of little green *****" is/was from?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 AM

No, must be unrelated. I had expected a linear bearing had been the source but it appears not.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:08 PM

Hello -

I'm not sure I'm having the same issue, I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find any answer. My manual passenger side sliding door does not open or close easily, the wheel just does not spin. I don't think mine is related to any sensor, but if it is, what exactly am I looking for?

I assumed my roller wheel is just jammed or busted.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by celticmoose
Hello -

I'm not sure I'm having the same issue, I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find any answer. My manual passenger side sliding door does not open or close easily, the wheel just does not spin. I don't think mine is related to any sensor, but if it is, what exactly am I looking for?

I assumed my roller wheel is just jammed or busted.
You can use moly lube in the track and loosen the guide wheel with WD-40. If you're brave you can remove the lower wheel from the support bar and clean it up, make sure to mark the position with a screwdriver or sharpie so it will be aligned when you reinstall it. You'll also need to support the door while it's off. Car washes push the dirt into the track and the moly will help keep the door free when moving, I had a tight drivers side door, but not anymore. Good Luck!