Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

steering troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Default steering troubles

my 04 freestar is having some steering problems. first, i'll say that i have noticed no leaks or unusual noises or smells from the power steering pump. the steering was very jerky and would not return to center with out a considerable amount of force. i sprayed some blaster on the u-joint above the rack and that seems to help, but only for a day then i have to spray again. any tips are appreciated.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM

Had the exact same issue with my 04 Freestar 4/09 @69,000 miles. Spray the joint with PB Blaster and good for a day or so, then back to jerky, hard to turn and no return to center. Purchased a new shaft (3F2Z3B676AA) for $97 from Ford. One bolt on top, inside the van and one on the bottom. Old out and new in, in about 1/2 hour. Pretty easy and cut and dry. Must contort a little.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM

A big thank you to "BobbyD01" for posting and "Use Common Sense" for replying!!! You guys saved me a lot of time and money.

For the benefit of future readers, here's what I have learned since being tipped off to this issue by these two guys above....

The steering shaft binding is a common (but little known) condition that affects many Windstar and Freestar (which uses the Windstar) steering shaft.

If you haven't let the stiff condition go on too long, you probably only need to lubricate. While penetrating fluid provides some temporary lubrication (maybe 24 hours), you might want to try WD-40 and then wheel bearing grease on the lower U-joint.

Lubrication
Lubricate it by spraying alot of WD-40 on the steering shaft's lower U-joint immediately above the steering rack spool housing.

Spray it good, turn the wheel 180* to either direction and spray it again.
Then work the wheel back and forth from full-stop to full-stop.

After that, check to see how much play you have in the joint ... you do this by doing a "dry park" test.

Dry Park Test:
- With vehicle off, in Neutral and the full weight of the vehicle on all four tires (i.e., front wheels loaded), have a helper turn the steering wheel slightly while you feel the U-joint for play.

Unless you are a really skinny anorexia guy, you'll need to have the front wheels on a ramp.

If you see a lot of play in the lower u-joint or the WD-40 lubrication described above fixes the problem for only a short period of time, then you need to replace the steering shaft.

Steering Shaft R&R: (Removal & Replacement)
The steering shaft is a Ford-only part... so you need to buy it through Ford Dealer... as of 2013 they are going for ~$200.

But the removal and replacement is easy. The unit is attached with only a pinch bolt on top (inside the cab under the dash by the shaft's upper U-joint) and a pinch bolt under the vehicle where you just sprayed the U-joint.

Pinch bolts are easy... lefty loosey, righty-tighty.

Last edited by ChicagoJim; 02-14-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Glad I could help...I try...

Ouch on the price. I only paid $97 in April 2009 for mine. Guess, they're selling quite a few of these now, thus the mark-up on the Dealer Only item...

Old 01-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Default steering issue

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Had the exact same issue with my 04 Freestar 4/09 @69,000 miles. Spray the joint with PB Blaster and good for a day or so, then back to jerky, hard to turn and no return to center. Purchased a new shaft (3F2Z3B676AA) for $97 from Ford. One bolt on top, inside the van and one on the bottom. Old out and new in, in about 1/2 hour. Pretty easy and cut and dry. Must contort a little.
It worked for me. I greased the rack and steering shaft u joint and waalaa! My mech thought it was pump or rack but it was dry u joint. Awsome advice!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 PM

Had same problem on my 04 Freestar. Figured it might be the universal joint on steering column since it was hard about every 1/4 turn. I couldn't see how the pump or rack would cause this. Then I came across this post which confirmed my gut feeling. Since our roads here are salted in the winter, I sprayed the joint liberally with releasall to desolve any rust and gunk first, wiped it down and worked the wheel side to side about ten times then did the wd40 and worked it side to side again. I could feel it freeing up as I did this. I let it sit for about ten minutes and finished off with a liberal coating of sprayed on white lithium grease. Presto. Works like new again!
I did all this from under the hood, without removing anything, When spring arrives I'll get under the van and clean it up again and pack some good axle grease in there. Cost virtually nothing and about 30 minutes of my time. Painless!

Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 PM

Forgot to say thanks for the info, everyone. I'm sure I'll be back again!

Old 01-23-2022, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyd01
my 04 freestar is having some steering problems. first, i'll say that i have noticed no leaks or unusual noises or smells from the power steering pump. the steering was very jerky and would not return to center with out a considerable amount of force. i sprayed some blaster on the u-joint above the rack and that seems to help, but only for a day then i have to spray again. any tips are appreciated.
Maybe replace steering column or replace that U-joint that' your spraying! The issue most likely has to be starting there and affecting everything between you and it!