Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Tailgate Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Default Tailgate Leak

Hey, Common,
Did some further checking and testing. Checked the drain holes and all three are clear. Leak occurs with the rear of the van high as my driveway slopes upwards. Hose tested with rear up - leaks. Hose tested with rear down - no leak, sp drain holes working perfectly. No doubt left, handle door handle posts are the culprit. Seals no longer seal. My tech guy thinks bad design and offers no solutions. Do you know of a way to seal these square openings from water entry. Any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks.

FSGB ( Ron )

Old 06-14-2016, 11:32 PM

Well, time to disassemble the rear door. There a small thin foam seals around the handle that should seal the handle when the handle pulls back against the door. You may need to replace the seals with some type of thin foam sealer. (Hope the following makes sense)...If you can't find anything that will work, you could most likely smear the door area where the handle goes against the door with some Vaseline and the put a small bead of silicone around the handle. Let the handle seat itself against the door and set for 24 hours. This would give you a good positive silicone seal and then you can wipe the Vaseline off.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 PM

Hey, Common Sense, thanks for the suggestion. It may be the only way to get a seal. Just a little further info, when we installed the replacement bezel, using windshield urethane has sealed the bezel, however, has rendered the bezel unremoveable without some serious work. I hope that I can still remove the handle without taking off the bezel. What do you think? Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:14 AM

Should be able to remove the inner panel and get the handle disconnected from the inside. Just don't close the gate when the handle is removed. May be a little hard to re-open then...