Ford Freestar The latest minivan entry for Ford provides all of the technology in family vehicles with a smooth styling.

Window control stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Question Window control stopped working

I have a 2004 Freestar and my window control on the driver's side for the driver's side window has stopped working. Fortunately, the window was closed at the time. I did have this problem with my Explorer but that fixed itself with some jiggling back and forth. I was hoping someone had an idea other than having to replace the rather expensive window control. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 AM

Haven't needed to tear mine apart yet. Almost did for the passenger side for acting up. Sometimes the switches are removable with some care and the contacts can be cleaned up. Also on some units the switch is a "PLUG-n-PLAY" unit that unplugs from the main controller and you plug a new switch in. Since I haven't looked at the Freestars yet, I'm not sure. If it was me, I'd tear it apart to see if I could fix it knowing that I'm gonna buy a new one anyways if I can't.

My motto is "If I can fix it GREAT, If I can't or I break it...I needed to buy a new one anyways"

Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 AM

We opened up that part of the door (rather easily surprisingly - only 2 screws and a couple of clips) and it was one of those "plug-n-play" units. The unit is for both switches together and can't be opened up as far as we can tell.

I am going to the ford dealer today to see what they say - they are pretty good about giving advice that can save money at this dealership so hopefully we can open the unit up and not have to cough up the money for a new one quite yet.

I was able to do a search with google and quickly find a .pdf that had a diagram of the door and how to pull it apart. Unfortunately it was too large to upload to this forum but it was very easy to find it you ever need it.

I like your motto. Cheers!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Same problem here. What is it with these Freestars? I used to be able to slam the door and the window would work. Then I had to tear the door panel off and the window would work once I tapped on the window motor. Now it's going in to have the motor replaced. Not as much as I thought it would be, only $150. My mechanic told me that the brushes were going bad in it. Good luck with yours.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Yeah, I pulled apart the door and opened up the switch to test it and the switch seems to work fine so the motor looks like the most likely suspect. Fortunately we have a buddy who can get us a new motor at cost and can help us put it in, but even then it will cost around $130. Still better than what the dealership wants to fix it, but still. Our old Ford Explorer had problems with the window, but on that one it was the switch that was the unit, not the motor. Seems to be a problem with ford vehicles.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Good thing you have a buddy to save you some money. I didn't even consider going to the Ford dealer. I know they would charge more and I haven't gotten good service from them in the past. It would've been nice if it was just the switch. I could probably find one in the junk yard and save even more. Oh well.