Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

2006 mercury Milan v6 premier help

Old 01-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Default 2006 mercury Milan v6 premier help

Just going to put this in simplest form so its easy to understand.

1st incident:
I was driving down the road and the car started bogging down like it wasn't getting gas (I'm no mechanic just my opinion) so I pulled over immediately and turned the car off.
Tried to start it again and it struggled
Then a second time it started right up and I drove away to make it home.

2nd incident:
Decided to take it for a test drive and I got on the road and 5 mins later it started bogging down again. Only this time the engine died all the way since I couldn't pull over fast enough.
Tried to turn it back on and it only cranks and it will not start. I just put a new battery the other day and it has power so I don't think it's the problem.

Could this be a fuel filter problem?

Could this be a fuel pump problem?
(I hear the fuel pump engaging when I turn the key to the on position)

If its the fuel filter then where is it?
Is it in the gas tank with the fuel pump as well and are they one piece?

Thanks in advance to any one who can shine the light on this situation!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Generally a fuel filter won't completely plug without prior performance issues,, restrict to where it causes a partial stall or 'flat throttle' under higher fuel demand like steep grades, WOT conditions etc. , more likely. Certainly would want to determine if the pump and system are supplying spec pressure/ volume.

Being you mention it bogging down prior to the stall, I'd suspect fuel related issue, and probably should be proved out before moving on, even if pump run is audible..

Old 01-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Generally a fuel filter won't completely plug without prior performance issues,, restrict to where it causes a partial stall or 'flat throttle' under higher fuel demand like steep grades, WOT conditions etc. , more likely. Certainly would want to determine if the pump and system are supplying spec pressure/ volume.

Being you mention it bogging down prior to the stall, I'd suspect fuel related issue, and probably should be proved out before moving on, even if pump run is audible..
Thanks for the reply.
Today I'm going to get some of that spray and shoot it into my intake and see if it starts.