Ford Fusion The next installation in the Ford sedan lineup not only joins as the new mid sized sedan, but also as the Ford entry for NASCAR.

Help with diagnosing an issue with my Fusion

Old 09-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Exclamation Help with diagnosing an issue with my Fusion

Hi all,

I recently bought this pre-owned 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD 2.0L Ecoboost, and soon discovered an issue with water pooling in the trunk, in the area where the spare tyre is kept. This seems to happen whenever the car is subjected to a lot of water splashes, like I would see water pool in the trunk after I have just washed my car, or even after a heavy storm. I have attached a photo of this problem in this post.

From what I can tell, it seems like there is a hole just under the spare tyre with a loose fitting plug, and I'm guessing thats the place where water gets in. Does anyone know of any such issue with their own Fusions? What is the problem exactly?

Thank you for any advice/help in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Help with diagnosing an issue with my Fusion-img_3674.jpg  
Old 09-27-2015, 01:44 AM

the plug is a drain plug. That is not the water entry point. On a vehicle that new that has not been in any collisions; I would fist check for dealer service bulletins.
if its not collision damage, it should be covered under warranty. have the dealer fix it for free. If it is from a previous accident return to the selling dealer as they must disclosed if the vehicle was in an accident.

If you just want to fix it yourself, remove the rear sill plates, get inside the car with a light and have someone spray all over the rear end with a garden hose. It may take 20 minutes of spraying for the leak to come through. I have seen some techs use foot or baby powder sprinkled around the leak area...this will leave a trace as the water leaks over it.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by AKKO
Hi all,

I recently bought this pre-owned 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD 2.0L Ecoboost, and soon discovered an issue with water pooling in the trunk, in the area where the spare tyre is kept. This seems to happen whenever the car is subjected to a lot of water splashes, like I would see water pool in the trunk after I have just washed my car, or even after a heavy storm. I have attached a photo of this problem in this post.

From what I can tell, it seems like there is a hole just under the spare tyre with a loose fitting plug, and I'm guessing thats the place where water gets in. Does anyone know of any such issue with their own Fusions? What is the problem exactly?

Thank you for any advice/help in advance!
HI If you still have the car .And does it have a sun roof there is a hose at all corners the ones that goes through the trunk mite be plug n split n water can come in .or a bad trunk seal you should b able to see the water right after you wash with wet spots in the trunk or try spangling baby powder and if you cane see water trail. Good luck Lionel