Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

2015 Mustang Transmission Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Default 2015 Mustang Transmission Problems...

Wondering if anyone has had problems with their MT82 Mustang manual transmission?

I noticed problems at ~244 miles when I picked up my car from a Ford dealership, Bozard Ford, where it was in for warranty repair of fender/door misalignment which caused paint damage. After a poor paint repair by an auto shop, video below, I brought my car home from the dealership, and when I drove away in my Mustang after the dealership had it for ~16 miles, I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right at all (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely never did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear. The transmission shift quality was significantly, noticeably degraded somehow when I left it in the dealership’s care.

Does anyone know what would cause this really poor shift quality? What type of condition? What should I do?

Poor Paint Repair:

Update 2/4: Transmission Problems at 244 miles on Odometer (less than a week old)!! While with the dealership for warranty paint repair and door/fender alignment, the manual transmission shift quality became VERY poor in 4th gear. So at 244 miles on the odometer it's now got manual transmission and paint problems!

Update 2/18: After talking to the dealership service manager, GM, and Ford I have still not been offered a brand new transmission for the car. Anyone with experience with rebuilds or rebuilt transmissions? A master certified mechanic advised me against a rebuilt transmission.

Update 3/9: Test drove a brand new 2015 Mustang GT Manual at Autonation Ford Jacksonville where I confirmed that a new Mustang GT manual does NOT exhibit the same shift problem.

Update 3/12: Ford still has not offered a brand new transmission, despite my circumstances. No resolution reached despite dozens of phone calls to Ford and dealerships. Still have transmission problems with 4th gear.

Update 3/14: For additional confirmation, took it to an independent transmission repair shop 3/14 with 996 miles on it where the mechanic confirmed a transmission problem exists.

Update 3/19: Unable to get transmission fixed (at all) up to this point. Stuck. Not sure what to do next?

Update 3/20: Seems like more dealership run-around and denials etc...

Update 3/24: Another independent repair shop drives car 3/24 and mechanic said there def. is a problem with transmission. Believed to be bad syncros.
*Though, a Ford dealership still has NOT given me anything in writing that lists a problem they could find with transmission.*

Update 4/3: Serious transmission and also lingering paint problems (but I still have five other gears, right). Time to get exact numbers on oil consumption.

Update 4/4: 2 months, still working on getting it fixed and resolved. I want to thank everyone who has supported me by responding to my thread and viewing my Youtube videos. The more responses and views I get, the more support I have (please keep supporting). I have received a lot of great advice from all of you, my fellow car enthusiasts. Sharing my experience is about helping others avoid what has happened to me. It's been a tough couple months for me (dozens of phone calls, hundreds of miles, dozens of hours to try to get it fixed). As I continue to work to get my car’s transmission fixed (and other car problems), please consider taking caution when leaving your car at a dealership or auto repair shop. Please wish me luck, your support is always much appreciated. God bless.

Update 4/13: I am deciding if I should bring my Mustang in to a Ford dealership again (or move to plan B). Two independent repair shops already confirmed the transmission problem, so one would think a Ford dealership will eventually acknowledge the transmission problem too in writing and fix it (or maybe they never will). I will post updates to help everyone. Thanks for all your responses and support guys!

Update 4/19: Still not fixed. Plan B.

**My experience is now on websites and forums. Please see my video appeal on Youtube for latest updates**
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbbwzeOZhNo

Last edited by 15mustang; 04-19-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:42 AM
Default Fair Solution.

Update: After talking to the service manager, GM, and Ford several times they have offered to rebuild my transmission (contingent upon dealership acknowledging transmission problem). Please feel free to share my story to help a long-time Ford owner

Last edited by 15mustang; 03-19-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM

what about your door damage / on your tranny that's what ford should do and who is rebuilding it ford motor co I hope. And you should get a loaner while your body work and tranny rebuild is going on. nice looking car.
have had fords 40yrs
sho11

Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 AM

That paint job should never of left the body shop. A blind person could see that. As far as the tranny issue, being brand new with less than 300 miles on it, they should install a new tranny or a "Ford Authorized" rebuilt unit. Not a shop rebuild.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM

you should get a new tranny with any conversation at all and they know that.do not accept a shop rebuilt because you are entitled to a new transmission and don't let them talk you out of it' Deysha please help this man with his problem.it should not be his problem.

SHO11 aka tomk aka tom Kelly

Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by sho11
you should get a new tranny with any conversation at all and they know that.do not accept a shop rebuilt because you are entitled to a new transmission and don't let them talk you out of it' Deysha please help this man with his problem.it should not be his problem.

SHO11 aka tomk aka tom Kelly
I wish I could get a new transmission. Ford won't offer one yet, despite my persistence.

Latest Update 3/12: Hoping Ford will help resolve? Ford still hasn't offered a brand new transmission (even though my brand new Mustang developed damaged paint and transmission problems while at Bozard Ford for repair). The 4th gear problems persist. Very unhappy. Will Ford help? It would be nice if this story had a happy ending.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:41 AM

Have you discussed the issue with the District Ford Rep yet? If not, schedule an appointment to do so face-to-face. Have all of your documentation and discuss the issue with the Rep in a calm manner.

I went thru a tranny issue with me 1983 ranger when it was out of warranty (caused by an in-warranty repair). The guy before me was ranting and raving at the Rep over poor sound out of an AM/FM Radio in a F-250 regular cab w/Diesel engine. Needless to say, that guy got nothing except to severely **** the Rep off.

I figured since I was next, and my issue was for an out-of-warranty tranny I was screwed.

I calmly explained my issue with the Rep and provided my documentation for my issue. The Rep went and made 1 phone call and came back and said that Ford will rebuild my tranny at no cost to me.

It's worth a try. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Have you discussed the issue with the District Ford Rep yet? If not, schedule an appointment to do so face-to-face. Have all of your documentation and discuss the issue with the Rep in a calm manner.

I went thru a tranny issue with me 1983 ranger when it was out of warranty (caused by an in-warranty repair). The guy before me was ranting and raving at the Rep over poor sound out of an AM/FM Radio in a F-250 regular cab w/Diesel engine. Needless to say, that guy got nothing except to severely **** the Rep off.

I figured since I was next, and my issue was for an out-of-warranty tranny I was screwed.

I calmly explained my issue with the Rep and provided my documentation for my issue. The Rep went and made 1 phone call and came back and said that Ford will rebuild my tranny at no cost to me.

Thanks for information! Yes I spoke with her. Dealerships don't seem to want to be involved, so I am stuck with a messed-up, problematic transmission at this point.

Last edited by 15mustang; 03-19-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense

How do I schedule a face-to-face meeting?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 PM

Note: I requested transmission fluid be changed to check for metal deposits etc, but could not get authorization. Why?

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Transmission Problems...