Ford Mustang For over 50 years, the Mustang name has stood for affordable industry leading performance with its powerful V8 Ford Mustang engines and sporty lines.

2015 Mustang Transmission Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If this were an automatic transmission I would also think it should be replaced, however, since it is a manual trans there is nothing in there compared to an automatic. Somebody at the dealership "maybe" took it out and played speedshift with it and possibly damaged one of the blocking rings that go with 4th gear, no big deal. If it were me this is what I would do.
As long as they are willing to open it up and correct the problem, which is not a big job, Let them fix it, under warranty , of course. There is just not that much to a manual trans and it should be covered under the Powertrain warranty.
You seem to be getting nowhere with your present path and it may be time to chose a different approach. There would be no need to "rebuild" the whole trans unless there is junk circulating around in there and it could do more damage if left in there with continued use.
You have a nice vehicle and you should be able to enjoy driving it and not worrying about how much additional damage and headaches you will have up the road. As you know most problems are usually solved one at a time.
Thanks hanky! Ford doesn't want to fix it.

Update 4/19: Transmission still not fixed. Plan B.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:13 PM

Have you inquired of them if it would help if your attorney spoke with them? Your attorney should be able to get some better response and may be able to explain if the "lemon law" would apply here. You never know, there might be a newer Mustang in your future.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 AM

Update 5/4: I am thankful for the support everyone has given me!, as I take further steps to get my transmission fixed. Thanks for all the responses, I will update the thread with more detailed information and hopefully a final resolution soon.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 PM

Update 5/20: Transmission still not fixed, but I will update everyone on the final outcome (hopefully soon). Please message me if you can help. I have sympathy for anyone who has ever been through something similar, I feel your pain.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
You never know, there might be a newer Mustang in your future.
Yes, if Ford wants to do the right thing there would be a newer Mustang in my future This has been a new car owner's worst nightmare...

Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 AM

Update 3/20/2016: I first want to thank everyone on the forum who has offered advice or viewed my thread. Its been a while since I created this thread to help all owners by sharing my aweful dealership experience (at Bozard Ford). Please be careful when leaving your car at a dealership! The problems with my 2015 Mustang GT have put me through hell. I paid $37k+ for my 2015 Mustang and it STILL has transmission problems (Ford hasn't fixed!) Ford can do the right thing, but they choose not to.

If you wish to help everyone, all mustang owners, please reply to this thread or view my experience video below. Every view counts!:

Thank you once again for your support of the good fight!

Old 05-19-2016, 11:57 PM

*UPDATE 5/20/2016 - Clutch Failed*: The clutch assembly in my 2015 Mustang has now failed at ~8k miles! From what I'm told, the pressure plate/clutch assembly failed and broke. So now it needs a new clutch kit which will cost me ~$1200 total. They won't cover it under warranty, so I would have to pay the cost. This car nightmare just won't end.

My 2015 Mustang is 100% stock, only 15 months old, with 8k miles and used for daily commuting. And, it still has the transmission problems from roughly a week old!

Any advice on this repair? Is the clutch assembly covered under warranty?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
I'll through my thoughts into the ring here :-)

First, just my opinon, what I see ..

As far as the paint, fender/door gap, was the fender/panel ever re aligned? That gap looks sufficient that the door and fender should have never rubbed, and if it was a close rubbing spacing gap issue prior or after delivery, was it noticed any time the door was opened? If so, was a panel clearance issue noted clearly in the service/warranty docs, or just a finish repair?
On delivery,,, did you walk around the car? Was that when the paint damage was noticed ? If it had made it past Ford quality Control, damaged during transport possibly, and then your eye during the test drive, walk around? When and how was the damage discovered?
I bought a new T/A years back that was unloaded from the transport damaging the quarter panel paint, the Dealer tried to assign the damage to me, but was noticed and reported within a very short time. Easy to see how it ' could have' been a transport damage issue. I didn't notice it straight away, because it was down low, and more hidden..

Generally there are mobile vendors that 'come to the dealership' to correct minor paint imperfections, unless a door/ fender gap issue, or more extensive corrective issues, I'm not sure why they would have taken it to a paint shop, more so if a touch up brush would be used. A brush repair, on a dark brand new car, in plain sight, doubt anyone would sign off on that..

The trans and clutch,

First, not in any way pointing a boney finger,,, and one or the other issues could certainly be an build or component quality/failure issue.
If it were abused while it was under Fords care, either at the Dealer, or a vendor they took it to, then they'd be responsible. Period..
Looking at it from 'both sides' and from here thou, and what may be the stumbling point, is it would seem unlikely that (your first complaint) a transmission hard part failure would cause the clutch to fail. Now,, a clutch release problem, ' could' cause transmission damage if it was left without a needed repair. But there doesn't seem to be a clutch release complaint in the beginning? Again, if abused (there eyes) could see damaging possibly one or the other components, but both in a short time/ mileage? It would seem it would have to have been beat'n Badly, more so in such short mileage while under their control.. So,, it would seem it was either their responsibility, or yours. They'd most likely lean towards you, more so if they've used that paint service with no other problems. Again, looking from their seat..

Not to blame but looking at the total picture and both sides of the street again, if the clutch was dragging, not releasing completely, it generally can/would cause damage on more than one gear set. That may need to be proven at some point. Transmission, gear component failures, not sure how that would fail a clutch.? Clutch should be able to take a fair amount of abuse, generally either
being prematurely thinned, or burnt, or catastrophic failure. To fail the clutch in such a short time, along with the trans 'certainly points' or lends to the possibility that it was abused.

The burden of proof should be on the Dealer,, if the car is pulled apart, and the clutch and trans disassembled, should determine 'forensically' what happened. If the clutch assembly shows signs of extreme heat, excessive wear would bend towards abuse. If the pressure plate failed showing a part malfunction, then warranty should cover the clutch 'and' trans. More so if the Dealers blew you off within your complaints.

Transmission disassembly may show overall clutch release issues if wear is 'global' through out the gear sets, or more so more than just one..

No matter, if the car was damaged under Fords care, it should be covered under warranty. Since you seem clear that the problems developed all at the hands of Ford and/or their vendors, then the options are to continue as noted through Fords Reps,, above the dealer level,, and 'certainly' obtain legal representation to help in a direction should they dig their heels in.. Any work to diagnose, fluid drop etc. must be done through Ford..

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-20-2016 at 02:10 PM.