Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

06 ranger Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Default 06 ranger Radio Problem

Iwent to go for a drive yestarday and when my radio came on there was no sound coming from the speakers (the volume was turned up for you wise guys) so when i decided to leave i pushed in the clutch and all the sudden sound came from the speakers let the clutch out no sound press the clutch in sound (you get the picture) so i thought it might be a fuse so i check all of the fuses and none of them were blown. now is when i get really strange fuse #32 is the brake swith fuse a 5 amp fuse when i removed that fuse sound would come from the radio and when i put the fuse back now sound. im hopeing someone else has had a simular problem because im going crazy with no radio i even sped up to 80mph the other day on some back roads so i could listen to the radio for 30 sec lol!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Default 05 Ranger, same radio problem

Have you figured out the radio problem yet? My 05 Ranger just came down with the same issue tonight. It was fine on the way to the movies, then didn't work after unless the clutch is pushed all the way in. I am thinking the safety switch for the starter circuit might be related since the sound is only present with the clutch all the way in. Strangely, the radio always has power, just no sound.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 PM

For what its worth and I could be wrong,but it sounds like your ground for the radio is choosing another path and that is through the clutch linkage. I would start with checking the grounds under the hood and if that doesn't correct it, check the ground under the dash that supplies the ground for the radio. If you have the radio on at the time you are checking, you will know when you hit it because the radio will start plying without depressing the clutch. If you would, just for the heck of it , let me know which ground it was OK. Thanks,,,,,,,,hanky

Old 08-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Thanks hanky

I was going to check the grounds but it is pouring rain here today. While driving the truck today the radio did work for most of the day so somethilng like a loose ground seems likely, however only the speakers cut out, not the whole deck and there is no common ground to them. I have also read other people had the same problem but with an A/T and the speakers only work in park or neutral. I will post again once I check grounds, hopefully with good news.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 PM

omg, i have the auto with this issue! 07 ranger 4x4 xlt. Started up my truck today, pulled out of my driveway, turned my stereo on to the radio. No sound, radio was working an displaying the radio station. turned it up, no sound. chose the CD option, heard the disk seek/spin up but no sound. So i pull over and put the truck in PARK so i can take a look. SOUND comes on, sweet im happy. put it in drive and the sound goes out.
So this is what i know, the sound comes out of the speakers when the truck is in park or neutral. with reverse or drive the sound stops.

what the hell guys? anyone have any insight. im out of warranty on the bumper to bumper as far as i know. 3 years old. 25000km.

6 disc optional pioneer deck with sub and amp in the console - its was an option that i paid for with the truck.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 PM

@ rangermike, can you post a link to where you read about the A/T and the stereo issues?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Sorry, I cannot remember where I found that link to the other A/T radio issue, but I can tell you it was found with (what else) Google. I never did find the problem with my radio, but figure that somehow the power from the head unit to the amp is being drained throught the neutral safety switch (which I believe is also tied in throught the clutch). I may be way off as this is just an educated guess.
The good news however is that I looked under my dash and saw a connector hanging down between the clutch pedal and brake pedal. I pushed it back up out of view and have not had a problem with my radio since. I am sure it is short lived, but it seems that something as simple as a loose connection (probably a ground) is the problem.
Good luck and let me know if you find something.

Thanks
Mike

Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM

well the problem has fixed itself, the day after i had that issue i jumped in my truck and fired it up, the radio/cd/line worked as intended and i haven't had the problem since. very strange indeed.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 PM

has anyone found a fix for this problem yet? i have a 2004 Ford Ranger A/T and when my truck is in P or N it works, but when it is in R, D, 1, or 2 no sound comes out but the radio say it is on and playing. is it the speakers, or a wire. if you know the reason please let me know.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM

It might be a good idea to check the antenna wire at the radio and the antenna mounting . Sometimes when water gets into the antenna lead it can cause the signal to be lost.

Quick Reply: 06 ranger Radio Problem