Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

A 1997 or a 1998 ranger? which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Question A 1997 or a 1998 ranger? which one?

Hello I am interested in buying a 1996 to 2001 Ranger Super Cab 4x4 with
a 5spd. I am interested in a truck which is reliable and reasonably fuel efficient.

I am posting here with some feature questions.

1. In 1998 "Pulse Vacuum" hub-locks were added for 4x4 engagement on the fly with a flick of the dash switch. This feature disconnects the hubs from the rest of the spooling front-drive parts, and thus reduces noise and improves fuel economy.

So I am interested in reliability and the dash switch vs. the good old 4x4 lever I fear there is extra things that go bad with the newer system? when they say it disconnects the hubs from the rest of the spooling parts isn't this the same as the manual hubs locks on the 1997 and earlier rangers? I figure I won't be switching in and out of 4x4 mode that often
so if I need to get out and select the hubs thats ok ... question is do manual hubs act exactly the same in that they too release the drive axles from spinning etc?

2. The twin I-beam front suspension was replaced by a wishbone-style system the front half of the frame was of "boxed", rather than C-channel construction. Rack and pinion steering added. Is this better? In what ways?

3. What is the more reliable motor the 3.0l or the 4.0l engine. What are commons problems with each engine? Any main seal issues etc?
Since I will likely be buying a ranger with 100,000+ miles I am interestedin
engine life, how many miles do these engines go?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by RonThinksRanger
Hello I am interested in buying a 1996 to 2001 Ranger Super Cab 4x4 with
a 5spd. I am interested in a truck which is reliable and reasonably fuel efficient.

I am posting here with some feature questions.

1. In 1998 "Pulse Vacuum" hub-locks were added for 4x4 engagement on the fly with a flick of the dash switch. This feature disconnects the hubs from the rest of the spooling front-drive parts, and thus reduces noise and improves fuel economy.

So I am interested in reliability and the dash switch vs. the good old 4x4 lever I fear there is extra things that go bad with the newer system? when they say it disconnects the hubs from the rest of the spooling parts isn't this the same as the manual hubs locks on the 1997 and earlier rangers? I figure I won't be switching in and out of 4x4 mode that often
so if I need to get out and select the hubs thats ok ... question is do manual hubs act exactly the same in that they too release the drive axles from spinning etc?

2. The twin I-beam front suspension was replaced by a wishbone-style system the front half of the frame was of "boxed", rather than C-channel construction. Rack and pinion steering added. Is this better? In what ways?

3. What is the more reliable motor the 3.0l or the 4.0l engine. What are commons problems with each engine? Any main seal issues etc?
Since I will likely be buying a ranger with 100,000+ miles I am interestedin
engine life, how many miles do these engines go?
1) Pulse hubs are problematic. Avoid them or plan to replace them with AVM manual ones.

2) The rack and torsion bar suspensions are superior for handling, but watch for rear frame rot if you're in the rust belt.

3) Both are reliable 200K motors if maintained. They are both thirsty though. There's no real mileage benefit to the 3.0.

Also watch for bad power door locks and window motors, blower motor issues, A/C issues (condenser), front wheel bearing problems, broken leaf springs, and seized ebrake cables. Stay away from automatics (I know you said 5-spd, but just in case you find a nice automatic, think carefully).

Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Default A 1997 or a 1998 ranger which one

go 5.0 i know a guy with a 94 ranger he did the swap ill ask him what it took

Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Default A 1997 or a 1998 ranger which one

Im wondering what eqipment came standard on these. I have googeld it and looked on the Ranger website and I can not find it. Im also trying to figure out if these were made for bass fishing or a run around boat/bass fishing. All I have found is the stardard 175 motor and they came with a fish finder and trolling motor. Any information will be helpful.ThanksDavid