Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

2001 EDGE sputter when driven

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Default 2001 EDGE sputter when driven

aHey everybody,

I have a 2001 Edge 2WD 3.0, and have been having a go with it as of late. You see, I sold the truck to a brother who couldnt' afford it so I took it back (P.S. Never a good idea) after he beat the living snot out of it! (pictures from his friends proved it) Replaced the tranny, which kind of almost killed the wallet for all the other stuff that I may have to replace. Anyways, here goes.

I have been having the check engine light come on lately, and I know that it is the )2 sensor, which would probably explain my HORRIBLE gas mileage, and will replace soon, BUT lately I went in to check it out for myself on the reader at autozone after yesterday and got four codes: P0155 (Passenger Upstream? (Bank 2, I think it was), P0401 (EGR valve), P0174 (Fuel Pressure Regulator) ... all these "parts" were told to me by the guy working at Advance. I believe it was a bank lean one or two of them... so I got to thinking... would my fuel pressure regulator be throwing the others out of whack?

ALSO, recently i've noticed a jerk, I guess kind of like a sputter... I thought it was the brakes? Because I live in Maine and the rear drums have frozen up on me before... anyways, i noticed that this sputter is only really there during acceleration.. The poor truck only has 115,000 and i'm hoping to push her for a few more years anyways, seeming how I still owe on it.... PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,
Erik

Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Default RE: 2001 EDGE sputter when driven

For the SPUTTERING, I would start with replacing the fuel filter if not done recently. A partially plugged filter will allow the engine to idle and run smoothly under normal acceleration, but is too plugged to supply the demand required under harder/full throttle acceleration. Especially at 115,000 miles.

For the LEAN codes, I would start with cleaning the MAF sensor itself. If it's dirty, it can be telling the computer that there is less are flowing into the engine than there actually is. This will cause the computer to decrease the length of the injector pulses, thus inject less fuel. This inturn will cause the O2 sensors to see more oxygen in the exhaust causing then to register a LEAN condition. They inturn will feed their voltage reading to the computer trying to maintain a 14.7:1 Air/Fuel mixture. Clean the MAF with CRC's MAF CLEANER. Should be available at Advance auto and Autozone.

The EGR valve code could just be the standard failing/failed DPFE sensor. A failing/failed DPFE sensor can also cause hard start/stall on start issues.These are $39 at ROCKAUTO.COM

For the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR, I would pull the vacuum line off of the pressure regulator and check for fuel in the vacuum line. If there is fuel in the vacuum line, then the diaphram is breached and the regulator needs replaced. This can also cause your sputter issue.

So I would start with:

1. New fuel filter if not recent
2. New air filter if not recent
3. Clean MAF sensor
4. Check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line
5. Remove the DPFE sensor from the EGR line and tap it in your hand to see if water comes out. If so, the DPFE is or will be failing doe to corrosion of the internal circuit board

MESSAGE EDITED DUE TO MY KEYBOARD NOT KNOWING HOW TO SPELL PROPERLY...

Old 01-24-2009, 05:10 PM

I just wanted to say thanks... cleaned the MAF sensor, changed out the fuel filter, check engine light is gone!!! Throw in some new ball joints next weekend and i'll have a brand new truck!!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Glad I could help and you problem is cleared.

Being a 2001 and used the way you said it was, I would also replace the shocks on all 4 corners. Probably has the stock OEMs on it still. I would go with the Monroe Sensa-Tracs. These will give a better ride and a more STICK-TO-THE-ROAD feel. I ran these on my 97 and 01 Explorer Sports and also have a set on the rear of my Freestar withe the built in overload coils. These give my Freestar a softer but firmer road feelride if you know what I mean.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Hey there,

Soooo... thought the problem was fixed, but I guess not... I'm going to check the vacuum line, change the plugs, and look at the DPFE sensor... wish me luck!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Hee hee... soooo... thought it was fixed... come to find out, the sputter was from a broken 5/16 vacuum hose that ran from my charcoal filter to somewhere up near the fuel rail. So that's all set... but I still have the check engine light... oh yeah, and probably a dumb question, but where exactly is the DPFE sensor?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:50 AM

Find the EGR tube, then follow it backwards. You'll come across two small tubes that go up to the DPFE. It is connected via silicone hoses and will have an electrical connector on it. If yours is aluminum, it's the expensive one. If it's plastic, it's the cheaper one and a know problem.

I would read, then clear the code(s). Drive the vehicle for at least 125 miles to see if the code(s) come back on. Some codes will not auto reset the CEL after the issue is resolved.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM

didn't you say you have a 02 sensor that you thought was bad