Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

93 Ranger starter problem

Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Default 93 Ranger starter problem

93 2.3 5 speed manual. Dumb question, but what threaded terminal post does the red wire coming from the battery go onto the starter........top or bottom one. I've had this starter in and out of the vehicle 5 or 6 times now so I don't remember.

I got a junkyard starter, the first one was bad, so they tested one right infront of me and I put that one in. When I put the red battery lead on the top, I get nothing, no click, spin......nothing. Then I took it back out and put red wire on bottom post and when I put negative terminal back on battery it just spins like crazy, key on or off. Before I put it in I used a charger set on 200 amp quick start and the star wheel would only come out and engage on the bottom threaded post.

Also was there a mid-year change on the 93-94 Ranger, because I put a 94 motor in a 93 Ranger. battery is reading 12.51-12.73 on volt meter. I also changed the solenoid relay.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 AM

There are generally three terminals on the starter solenoid. Two large ones and a small one. One of the large terminals connects directly to the starter motor. The other large one is connected to the positive battery cable. The third/smaller terminal gets the signal from the ign switch to energize the solenoid on the starter which in turn connects that positive cable directly to the starter motor and causes it to run. If the large terminals are situated up and down the positive cable connects to the upper one.
If the large terminals run horizontally the one with no connection directly to the starter gets the positive cable. If I don't stop now I'll probably confuse the heck out of you.