Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

94 Ranger 3.0 Will Crank-No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Default 94 Ranger 3.0 Will Crank-No Start

I am having trouble with my 94 ranger 3.0. The truck stalled while driving it and since then, the truck will crank, but will not start. I myself know nothing about vehicles, but have been working with a friend who does. We are getting fuel when cranked, but not getting any spark at the plugs or coil. We have changed out the coil, ignition module, and the distributor. We still are not getting any spark. I really don't want to continue changing out parts randomly. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Default RE: 94 Ranger 3.0 Will Crank-No Start

I would check the spark plugs and if they turn out ok, I'd check the fuel filter. I say fuel filter because it stalled on you while driving. That happened to me and it fixed my stalling prob. The fuel filter should run down the side of your truck on the underbody. They're usually small metal or plastic cylinders hooked into your fuel line. They sell them, and a tool to remove them, at Advance or Auto Zone. Hope this helps

DR11

Old 02-15-2006, 02:38 PM

I have a 93 ranger that did the same thing as yours. I found out that the distributor gear had completely striped out. Over the last 2 1/2 years this has happen twiced. I seen on another forum by changing both the cam shaft and the distributor that it would fix the problem. The guy that works on my truck quoted me $450 more to replace the motor with a new one than changing the cam shaft and distributor gear. It has also been suggeted to hard the distributor gear to keep this from happening but I think you would be taking a chance on striping out the cam shaft gear.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
jdm

take out one of your spark plus and hold it close to something that could be used as a ground, like, the engine block, keep the plug wire hooked up to it and turn the motor over, if you see a spark between the plug and the block you got spark, if there is no spark, check your distributor cap, rotor, and if all else fails, it could either be your coil or the distributor itself has a stripped gear, so thus you would need a new distributor, maybe a new camshaft, you could get lucky, and make sure you drain the oil and take the oil pan off to see if the gear is laying in there, if it isn't you could damage alot more of the motor

Old 05-22-2011, 02:18 PM

I Just fixed this problem on a '93 3.0 Ranger, it is the distributor gear and/or cam gear. this parts is not made as an individual replacement part anymore, and you can only buy it from a junkyard. You have to replace distributor as well as camshaft/gear. Be sure to drain oil, at least once to get all metal shavings out of the motor. While you have to motor out and timing chain cover off, replace timing chain. and since you have to pull the valve covers and intake manifold to get the lifters out (there are brackets under the intake manifold that hold lifters in) replace all gaskets. Not an easy or fun job

Old 01-31-2021, 09:41 AM

Usually, it;s the Ignition Control Module, but I've seen many on the internet forums say 10 different things, If you don't have a Breakout box , your just guessing, I ran into a 1994 Ranger with 3.0l manual and it was the ignition switch part# us108 the ignition ground in the switch was bad and it wouldn't allow the ignition module to complete circuit so it had no spark and standard testing by jumping / grounding control signal at module didn't work. Another shop worked on it for over a month replaced distributor ,coil ,plugs ,wires ,module . all I did was test with breakout box , traced to ignition switch, replaced and ran ,sometimes it pays to have it diagnosed to save money in the long run. I know this is an old post , but I thought I'd chime in from what I ran into. hope this helps someone.