Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

'97 Ranger 2.3L--Mazda B2300 timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 AM

bluewind, if you get a minute google this title,
"Timing belts is your engine an interference engine"
I think you will be glad you checked it !
You must have had your fingers AND toes crossed on this one!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM

Hmm. That seems to be the same list that I linked in post #3. And yes, my fingers and toes are completely contorted.

There is one little paragraph in the Haynes manual that explains why the oil pump sprocket needs to line up in these engines: the cam position sensor is mounted to the the oil pump! The oil pump and the camshaft run in synch. Wen the diamonds on the oilpump sprocket match up the #1 injector has already fed the fuel during the last intake stroke.
This should be of interest to grindman. Grindman, you must have been thinking of engines with throttle body fuel injection. There the fuel air mixture goes to which ever intake valve is open. Not so in SPFI engines, there the fuel is injected into the cylinder while the intake valve is open. The squirt is directed at the backside of the intake valve so the fuel will vaporize quickly.
I am heading out to the garage and I will report back when I am done. I will take my sweet time trying to get everything right the first time. So it will take a few days.

Last edited by bluewind; 03-31-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM

I'm assuming that the intake manifold is not all one piece the 5.0 that I worked on was multipoint and not central fuel injected all because the intake was made like all the other engines and all the cylinders were interchanged or linked to one another and they all created one big vaccume so the vapor would travel to any one open valve.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM

Actually, the 2.3 was supposed tobe a freewheeling engine; i've done many of these, and I've seen only 2 where the engine was damaged, and both were under a heavy load (aren't they always) when the belt snapped, so to even diag this thing correctly, you have to put a belt on and see what's broke, at least.
One thing to remember; these are somewhat easy to misalign the cam sprocket on; be really sure about the marks; if I remember correctly, they used a diamond shape or something of the sort that was easy to confuse.
On the other hand, the timing in this is EDIS high data rate, which means it knows where the crank and cam are all the time. Just trust me on this, as I don't feel like going in too deep on that. You'll be fine.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Hi guys!
She is alive and well!
I corrected the PO's mistakes. The sprockets for the camshaft and the oil pump are identical. Both sprockets have a triangle and a diamond timing mark. They could not use only one timing mark for both applications because the view holes for checking are at different locations. The view hole for the camshaft is at 4:30 o'clock and the view hole for the oil pump is at 12:00. You have to match up the triangle with the triangle on the camshaft sprocket and the diamond with the diamond on the oil pump. The CMP senor (camshaft position sensor) is mounted to the oil pump.
The PO had the diamond set to the triangle on the camshaft and he set the triangle to the diamond on the oil pump! As a result he didn't get compression because the camshaft timing was off and he didn't get fuel into the cylinders because the timing of the injectors was off too!
I put it all together and the engine started on the first try. I took the truck for a 12 mile test run. Fantastic! I spun it up to about 5000 rpm.
Thank you all, and in particular hanky for posting the link to the video! The truck is a gift for my son's 20 B'day.

Last edited by bluewind; 10-22-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Sir, you are quite welcome!
All the videos in the world aren't worth much unless the tech tries as hard as you did.
It's nice that a Dad can give his son something that he put his heart into, lets hope he appreciates your hard work.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 PM

I'm always in the market for a new truck. Are you interested in adopting another son?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 AM

Come on greasemark, get in line with us!!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM

LOL!!!

I think I know a good thing when I see it. This proposition of adopting greasemark and hanky as sons warrants an extraordinary effort of due diligence.....
I will let you know the result of my dd in about 20 years or so.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

I'm willing to wait forever if it doesn't take too long!

Quick Reply: '97 Ranger 2.3L--Mazda B2300 timing belt question