Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

First post please help a newbie

Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Default First post please help a newbie

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to look at this. This is my first post and yes it's a problem..... My son has a 1990 Ranger 4x4, 5 speedwith the 2.3 4cyl. I'm not sure if it matters but it has 8 plugs.I'm posting this because he has only had teh trucj for 2 months and has had nothing but issues. First the clutch goes out then numerous isses with that. After a week we got it back on the road. Then a couple days ago he's on his way home from work and the truck died on teh road. He thought fuel (pump or filter), he changed those out last night. we tried to start itgot nothing but cranking. Then he decided that maybe it was the coils, we have a donor truck that the coils are brand new so he changed those. He worked on this thing for 8 hours after school yesterday and still don't have it running. Any ideas? What tells the coils to spark? is it the computer or is there something on the cam? Please any ideas will help...

Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Default RE: First post please help a newbie

Verify the grounds are clean and have good contact. If you have a bad (GREEN) ground, the CPU will not operate the injectors, thus no fuel delivery. A way to verify is to check for spark. You should have that. Then if good spark, spray some fuel into the intake. If the engine fires up and runs while spraying fuel into the intake, then you'll have to start chasing the ground. Seen this several times over the years.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Pulled a wire from each side but didn't get a spark (lastnight) should we get a spark from the coils with the motor cranking? I know that you can do this on a ditributer motor but not with these coils. Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 AM

Just an update. My son changed out the coils, & plugs last night. We tried to start it but nothing but cranking. Tried to spray starting fuild into the throttle body but still just cranking. Removed one plug wire stuck a screwdriver in it and placed the driver to ground, didn't see any sparking. What drives the coils to spark? Is it the computer or crank sensor? We have both out of a donor truck, just don't want to take anymore time. He is working and going to school and trying to work on this after he gets home. We haven't gotten into bed until after midnight the couple days. We need help with this.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 AM

Even with coil packs, as long as the plug is grounded you should get spark. If no spark you could have a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor. If you have a scan tool and depending on the model of the scan tool you should be able to see if the scan tool dispays any RPM reading while cranking. If no reading, then the Crankshaft Position Sensor is probably at fault.

The lowest price I have found for a crankshaft Position Sensor is here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...p;model=Ranger

You have to pull the flywheel off to replace it.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 AM

"You have to pull the flywheel off to replace it"
What is the sensor on the front of the crank then? I was told that the crank sensor is the one on the front behind the crank pulley.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 AM

My bad...I meant to say front pully...Had a torque noise issue (Cracked Flywheel)on a 1989 Chevy stuck in my head.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 AM

NOT to bust your bubble but our web site is cheaper than the one you recomended
www.discountedgenuinefordparts.com

Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 PM

No problem...Can't find everything, just trying to help out. Besides, I have no bubble. Your price is $4 cheaper. Is your shipping comparable for Bigboyky's sake?

Old 02-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Ok my son has done about all he can do at this point. We tried to get a spark but no go. So it looks like its the crankshaftsensor.Is there a test I can do with a multi-meter? If so what am I looking for? I've been working 12 hour shifts at work so I can't help much. These nights of going to bed at midnight is killing me. Thanksfor all the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First post please help a newbie