Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

installing the clutch hydraulic line

Old 01-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Default installing the clutch hydraulic line

Hello all! I own a 2001 Ford Ranger V6 with manual transmission and I am in the process of installing a new clutch. After re-installing the flywheel, clutch, transmission, etc. I've run into the problem of installing the clutch hydraulic line into the transmission. This is the only issue I have left! I did not use the special tool, but a flathead screwdriver and pryed the hydraulic line out of the transmission upon installation of the clutch. I thought it would be an easy installation for the hydraulic line, but that appears to not be the case... If I am not mistaken, it should just snap right in, right?? I do not want to apply excessive force, due to the plastic clip... or should I??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...

Jon

Old 01-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: installing the clutch hydraulic line

Should just push in.. You might have a look at the clip and make sure its not blocking the path...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/E02B026A2A7C461B874CDC75AE579ECC.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-20-2007, 11:41 PM

You could always just remove the plastic clip on the hydraulic line. Just hope you dont have to remove again soon. You might also look inside slave cylinder where you are attempting to push line into and make sure your retaining clip is'nt messed up, if it is you can purchase a new clip for this.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 PM

Thank you for all of the quick replies! With enough persistence, the line finally gave in and pretty much snapped into place! The truck runs like a champ with the new clutch! I'll be sure to visit this forum frequently if I could offer any help, but it's probably me that's going to need all the help[sm=tongue.gif] Have a good one!

- Jon

Old 02-21-2007, 05:57 AM

I won't be much help as I have a similar dilemma. The truck 92 Ranger, 3.0, 2wd. Replaced tranny and clutch, but buggered up the nylon fitting trying to get it out. The guy who did it kinda jammed it back in and the truck drove fine for about 1000 mi. One night I noticed shifting was increasingly difficult and managed to get it home in 2nd and 3rd. After it was parked it couldn't be shifted with engine running and the clutch had gone very soft. I checked the resevoir and it was empty so I filled it and pumped the pedal a few times to no avail. There's no sign of leakage where the line goes into the transmission, but appears to be some leakage where cluch rod comes through fire wall. My first thought is that the buggered up connector isnt' letting fluid into slave and it caused the leak inside. Should I replace the whole setup from tranny to master cylinder? Should I try to replace the fitting? I'm baffled, but I really want my truck back again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
BTW, I've checked this forum out before and found a lot of really helpful information!!!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 AM

LOL...good news!!!!!!!! If I had a brain I'd be dangerous. Now I'm fairly intelligent but I didn't realize that the little rubber cup inside the reservoir had to be taken out. When I looked at it in bright light it occured to me that I should take it out and check further. Voile'! I filled the reservoir, pumped the clutch a bunch of times and it went back to normal. I felt like such a dork, but was glad to have discovered the problem before I started removing and replacing parts.