Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Instrument cluster cluster

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Default Instrument cluster cluster

I have a 95' Ranger XLT 2.3L 2WD. The cluster is fully electronic. The gas gauge is always on "E". The odometer works sometimes. The speedo always works as well as the amp gauge, temp gauge , and oil gauge. I've ran out of gas before and don't want it to happen again. Any ideas on solutions?

Old 06-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Instrument cluster cluster

Probably your sending unit in the fuel tank is bad, or maybe the float bad. Speedo bad if odom isn't working, but I leave it.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Default RE: Instrument cluster cluster

Fuel indication problem could be the gas gauge, a blown fuse, the sending unit in the tank, or the float in the tank. To check this problem out you need a Haynes manual for your ranger. If you do not have one, they are about $20 in the parts stores. It adresses fuel guage problems. What it doesn't tell you is about the option of removing the bed instead of removing the fuel tank.

I haven't done this, but have read about it on the RPS forum. Check the fuse and the gauge first. If that is not the problem, get a friend to help you and pull the bed off (I am been advised that is much easier than dropping the fuel tank). First, remove the screws that hold the filler neck, and disconnect the tail light wiring. Then remove the 6 bolts in the bed of your truck and either pull it back and brace it on saw horses. or lift it off and put it on the grass. The lock ring that holds the fuel pump and sending unit about a foot behind the cab. Remove the pump and sending unit, then remove the float and shake it to hear if there is gas in it. If contains fuel, then replace it. It is very inexpensive. If it is the sending unit, you will have to replace that part. Depending on your mileage, you might want to replace the fuel pump and the sending unit. If you take it to a shop I've heard it is about a $500 job. I have read reports of persons pulling the bed and replacing the float or unit in a couple of hours.

My fuel guage registers empty, but my oddometer is working. A little later this summer I plan to go through he same drill that I have outlined above.