Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

The mysterious problem even the Tranny pros couldnt solve

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Default The mysterious problem even the Tranny pros couldnt solve

Im new to this forum and im not the most mechanically minded, so please bare with my ignorance. I have a 94 Ranger XLT with about 180k miles on it now. Its run amazingly well for me for the years that ive owned it. Never had a problem with it until now. It used to be that when I hit between 45-50mph the overdrive would kick on, or it would shift gear, (again, mechanically ignorant) and the rpms would drop. Id have good power and accellaration. Now it only makes that shift once in awhile, and even when it has, it will suddenly jumpway up inRPM's almost as if dropping to a lower gear as soon as I try to drive it up a hill, or accelloratequickly. I know that if you put your foot on the gas, obviously your rpm's will go up, but this is drastic, and it didnt used to run so high.I took it to the tranny shop, they dropped the pan and found no debris. Checked fluids and said all was well. Couldnt tell me what was wrong. I need help. Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.
Damian

Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Default RE: The mysterious problem even the Tranny pros couldnt solve

Torque converter lock-up clutch or the electronic control for the lock-clutch is probably failing.