Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Need icbc advice

Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 AM
Default Need icbc advice

Hey guys,
I may not be in the right realm here but I know some other forum discussions have really helped me so i thought id give it a try.

I am looking for specific advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation as myself. Let's just be clear here the advice is regarding total loss.
Ill start from the beginning, i'm sorry if it turns out a bit lengthy...

My boyfriend was driving and we hit black ice and went of a 30ft embankment, needless to say our truck was written off. I have sustained some pelvic and lower back trauma and have been off work for a month now, and am working on my personal injury claim... I'm trying to avoid a lawyer unless I really need one. I have read all the motor vehicle/insurance acts they must follow and am still unclear on a few things.

It is my boyfriends truck but he flies to the oil patch 10/10 as a welder. Seeing that im off work and home all day, and have had previous experience in this kind of situation we thought it be best i deal with his total loss settlement.. maybe a bit because im a natural arguer too

anyways so I am speaking on his behalf and have gotten pretty good results thus far. Personal injury is going well, wage coverage and home maker benefit and all the treatment i need, Will consider getting a lawyer depending on what they offer upon closing. Regarding the truck which is a 2008 Ford Ranger Sport 4X4 with brand new 800$ tires this year and an aftermarket custom bent dual exhaust system.. tons of stereo equipment as well which I have since removed( ie subs,AMP,wiring, deck-replaced with OEM-) but anyway the original offer was waaaay too low to accept which was expected. Adjuster told me to find ads and we would go from there. Found my ads.. which were definitely average.. which avgd out to 15,058 at avg of 134235 km.. our truck was 156 XXX km.. so the excess of 20 000 K could not result in the 5000 dollar decrease in price they were offering.

My adjuster told me we will be sending the arbitration documents to sign and blah blah blah so anyways ive actually been to arbitration before with a few landlords so I'm familiar with the overall process. Knowing its going to cost them tons of time and money ( upwards of 2Gs including $12.50daily fee at auto wrecker, week long waiting period, 21 day rebuttle period, two week deciding period.. and the decision STILL isnt legally binding. and she said she would pass me on to her manager.
Upon the call from ICBC manager God, he flat out told me my average was null and void and stood for nothing, and that my aftermarket system (which was installed prior to purchase at the dealership) would be worth nothing without original receipts. I played my game some more and asked to see their ENTIRE compilation of ads they used to get their average. I will mention they told me i dont know how many times that they use AUTOSOURCE(God) that is third party.. funny that when I got a copy my claim number and personal ICBC info (ie claim number) is plastered all over the report meaning they work FOR icbc or they are sharing my confidential information with a random third party generator based in ****ing Jamaica for all I know without either of our consent... so anyways lets keep in mind here the manager after about a month of arguing with me, after I have said we arent going to arbitration and we arent signing the salvage form and we arent signing **** all until we agree, he is STILL right on that he will not budge..

We now got an email saying we have 2 days to sign the salvage or we will have to pay the storage fees.. to which i replied I wont be paying any fees until the act or binding contract signed by the owner is presented which states they are even able to do that, and that we are legally obligated to pay.. at that point the conversation about that was completely dropped by manager God. At this point we are both set on our prices.. he is on 11G and I'm on my 14500.98 plus HST which I have proven with my ads and even used THEIR formula found on their paper work which says they depreciate at 2.50CENTS per KM but the manager says my ads are useless and void. So i request their ENTIRE compilation of ads used to make up their offer, of which at this point they are legit harassing us to sign it over within two days.

I get the email that contains their info.
Blackbook value- void in my opinion as it looks at vehicles in ROUGH condition which our beautiful truck surely was not, and also stated in the auto source as GOOD condition.
Autosource- this report used 10 ads.. two of which were XL models of ranger which is TWO models below the sport so right there the autosource as a complete average holds no weight as they used the wrong models.
ICBC also compiled five ads of their own.. get this. which A) one was a manual trans - which in their paper work *OEM parts guide* values the auto as an extra $1400 so.. that ad is not to be considered. B) the second ad was good, no problems.. C) the other 3/3 ads are all the same ****ing truck advertised on different sites.
Now not only am I insulted to be repeatedly for a month told My ads are VOID.. when upon looking at theirs, they really are void and mine hold 100% true weight!

NOW TO THE QUESTIONS:
1. can they now completely change their ads/report once they see that mistake? I'm wondering if i should get a recording of the manager saying he personally looked over the ads before confirming that offer.. would this help me? knowing they were the wrong model and using the same truck thrice and harassing me to sign the truck over within 2 days or else. all under apparently knowing these ads make up a false average? or is he fully within his rights?

It's going to totally suck if they decide " we are going to just re-do our evaluation " ... can they do that? after they have already made an offer over two weeks ago? and the manager has sent us a signed letter via email that he approves this offer to be true upon their " comprehensive and intensive research"

he was willing to go to arbitration, and said straight up he knows he will win and he is very serious about his price.
I feel like **** is about to get very serious and I just hope they cant decide to swap all their ads now- I have the original stuff all printed and filed accordingly.

I'm just stuck with what to do at this exact moment. I know they screwed up with their coming to of the " fair market value" of the truck and I want to go about this the best way in order to maximize my result.

I'm sure in all that i missed quite a bit so feel free to ask if you need more info.

Thanks for any advice, this really is a long shot.

XOXO
F0rdPrincess