Ford Ranger The small pickup that has withstood the test of time offering pickup truck usefulness combined with an affordable price.

Throttle position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Default Throttle position sensor

What are the symptoms when the throttle position sensor is bad or out of adjustment?

If out of adjustment, how does one adjust without sophisticated equipment?

My 85 302 2150 2V runs fairly well, however when slowing or stopping at the stops it can stall or hesitate a bit on resuming speed (doesn't seem to happen when cold and doesn't die as easily when fully warm but may hesitate). No apparent problem any other time. If it falls flat on its face, do a quick restart and engine goes as if nothing happened.

Tune up including wires, plugs, cap/rotor, fuel filter and accelerator pump in carb has been accomplished. New O2 as well. Vacuum test did not reveal any leaks. EGR was removed and cleaned out and replaced with new gasket. This is an E150 Cargo.

Can anyone point me to additional reading or thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Default RE: Throttle position sensor

you need a VOM. ( volt meter) , green wire on TPS , key on engine off back probe the wire at the connecter , You might need a paper clip to get it pushed in there , Throttle closed you want just less then 1.0 volt --like .97,,,,, open throttle up WOT , still key on engine off, you want 5.0 volts max.,, if its outa adj. there 2 little screws that mount TPS loosen them a just a tad , an try turning TPS to get reading , Sometimes if you cat get the it , remove TPS an take a TINY drill bit an elongate the holes just a LITTLE an try it again. if it refuses to adjust , time to get a new one , also as you work throttle from idle postion to wot , the needle should sweep across the meter with out dropping back to ZERO, if it does you got a bad spot in TPS, Some guys like digital ones VOM , some guys like the ole ones, I got both an use them together quite often,,, Sometimes a defective one feels like it falls on it face as you accelarte,, Late shifts in the tranny are another cause to check TPS , funky idle, or the pedal you have to push it down a great distance before it feels like the motor's doing anything .lousy fuel mileage too [sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you Ramrod; your answer comes as very pointed and relevant to my issue and was presented most professionally.

I do believe my symptoms are all, if not almost all that you stated. I have both the analog and digital meters and will use both (still some curiosity left in this old guy).

I am new to this site and am very impressed!

Looking forward to more visits/questions.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:06 PM

Thats what we're here for to help folks with there questions , never hurts to get other ppls input , Heck sometimes we even disagree with each other over the problem , Hope that solves your problem, An come back, Who nows next time you can answer a question some one has !!! Good Luck .

Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 PM

When I bought my ranger, I literally had to drag it out of the woods. When I started it, it would idle fine but when you step on the pedal, it would miss fire and sometimes stall. Thats when I replaced the TPS and it hasn't been a problem anymore.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM

My 98 Ranger does all as stated above along with code 122. I think I have a defect in the connection or wiring.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Does this fall under the same for a 4.6 triton v8 in a 06 f150? Ive replaced my sensor 3 times in the past year. Just when I think I have it wham right back to square 1.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 AM

If you can, try to get it checked for any codes, which would provide some direction. Many times a sensor gets blamed for a malfunction when it could be a wiring or connection issue.