Ford Sport Trac SUV seating and versatility meets the compact pickup truck in this crossover.

Cold Start Problem

Old 01-31-2007, 04:40 PM
Default Cold Start Problem

I have an '01 Sport Trac 4.0. Lately, when the outside temp gets below 30 degrees or so, I have an intermittent no-start problem. Sometimes the truck will start, but immediately die and then not start at all for several minutes. The engine cranks fine, but just doesn't catch.After several repeated attempts with no start,I'll turn the key and it will fire right up, just like normal. Once it starts, it runs fine. I also notice that if I drive a short distance and then shut it off, it sometimes will not restart without going through this same process. It seems to start ok once it has been driven awhile and fully warmed up, but I also notice that the temperature gauge never seems to rise much above the 'cold' line anymore. I'm not sure whether or not this is related. When I first started having this problem, it seemed to help if I removed the key before trying again, but lately this makes no difference, so I think that this may be just a coincidence. I have replaced the fuel filter (twice), spark plugs, wires, and tried gas from different places, but no luck. Anyone know what would cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/align]

Old 02-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Default RE: Cold Start Problem

sounds like you need a new thermistat. when they go bad they are "fail safe".. so its probibly stuck open. not allowing your engine to reach proper operating temperature.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeah...After reading more on similar conditions, I think that might be the cause of the temp problem. But are you saying that it could also be the cause of the no-start as well?

Old 02-01-2007, 02:30 PM

that shouldnt have a bearing on a no start. does your engine light come on?

Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 PM

No check engine light.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 AM

So I replaced the thermostat, which fixed that problem (Thanks). I also found a small amount of antifreeze seeping from around the coolant temp sensor. I went ahead and replaced the coolant temp sensor, and the intake manifold gaskets at the same time as the thermostat, since I had to pull that stuff to get to the thermostat anyway. I thought this might have fixed the cold start problem, but this morning the temperature was 1 degree F with a -15 windchill and I almost completely drained the battery from cranking before it finally started. I knew it was supposed to get pretty cold this week, so Idumped some fuel line antifreeze in it yesterday, just to make sure thatfreezeupwouldn't be anissue. I have verified that the fuel pump relay isfiring, and I can hear the pump run briefly when I turn the key to ON, so I'm fairly sure it's getting fuel. I have tested the MAF sensorand IAC valve. They test out ok according to the manual, andI have also replaced the spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter recently.I'm at a loss for what else could be the cause.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:21 PM

How maney miles do you have on it. and was the iac dirty when you took it off. if you have a lot of miles on it you may want to consider replacing it. A lot of times when they are real dirty they don,t react fast enough and that can cause the engine to start and die. good luck and let us know what you find

Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 PM

The truck has about 75k miles. The IAC didn't appear to be abnormally dirty. Now that the weather has warmed up, I haven't had a problem. I talked to a friend's brother who used to work for FORD. He suggested that I hook it up to a diagnostic tool which gives the real-time information from the PCM on status of all the sensors. Anyone know where I can get a tool like that without spending an arm anda leg?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:47 PM

Hello,

I was just reviewing some message regarding the cold weather start problem. I had the smae problem with my 2002 sport trac. At the time it was still under warranty and it was repaired at the dealership. I had to take it back a few times but they resolved the issue. I am sure they replaced something to do with the fuel injection system.

It was only hard to start when the outside temperature dropped below -20c. They repaired it Feb 2005 and it has not been a problem since.