Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

00 Taurus front end vibration/shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Default 00 Taurus front end vibration/shimmy

Hi all, just looking for help regarding a highway speed vibration in the steering wheel and drivers floor, i just had all 4 tires balanced and checked and was told all was good. It seems to be a common problem for the taurus, anyone who has had this problem please let me know what you found out... thanks

Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Default RE: 00 Taurus front end vibration/shimmy

Hey-low.
How many miles on the Taurus. What speed do you notice it at? Does it do it while you are slowing down? Things to look at might be a bad tire, or out of round. A bent wheel, wheel bearings, tie-rod ends (inner or outer or both). Bent cv shaft, a bad cv joint. Wheel alignment does not normily cause a wheel shake problem unless it is way off the mark. Shocks or struts can allow for some tire bounce. A good tire store should be able to help. Has this car always done this? Any damage or wrecks to speek of? Mine had a bad set of tires once replaced tires shake went away, now it has brake shake from the rotors soon to be fixed. Write back with some more information, we might get this thing fixed.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:58 PM

hey dave thanks for the reply, i recently just had all 4 tires checked and rebalanced and was told they were all okay. The guy specifically said that the tires and wheels looked fine and that he didnt know why it would be still making vibrations.. Right now it has 80,000 miles, and it is not noticable at lower speeds but once you hit around 80-100 km/h it is noticable. It is not particular more or less noticable whether i slow down or accelerate, its the same throughout that speed range. I dont recall hitting any curbs or anything of that kind which could have done damage to the tire or rim... Im thinking if one of the tires was in fact out of round that it would not be very detectable just from looking at it.

but i have the funny feeling it could be a bad tire or a shock or strut causing tire bounce perhaps.. Hope this gives you a better idea... Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 03-27-2006, 12:46 AM

I had a similiar problem on my 01 taurus. It turned out to be the drivers side axle. It somehow got a crack in it and had shot out alot of grease underneath the car.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:44 PM

yeah, i;ve heard of that before actually, how were you able to diagnose that? or did you just replace it then find out that it was in fact the problem? thanks

Old 03-30-2006, 12:43 AM

I first thought it might be something in the transmission, but after having the fluids changed everything checked out fine. My local repair shop caught the excessive grease underneath the car and then discovered the crack in the axle. They replaced it and now the car rides smooth again.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 PM

My 94 Taurus wagon does the same thing. I replaced the tires and had the car aligned. The vibration and shaking got a whole lot better, but it starts up about 60 MPH and by 75 MPH I can see the dashboard shaking slightly. I had the front end checked and they told me everything was fine, but the fellow who changed the old said something about the boot being overfilled with grease. I had a Saturn that did this too - it was a bad motor mount.

I've been wondering if I have a bad wheel(s), but the balancing should have revealed this and I bought Michelin tires. I am wondering if the front suspension has some problems. I'm also wondering if a motor mount is bad (or worn). Am I on the right track?

Old 03-21-2008, 03:56 AM

Had same issue with my 2000 Taurus, vibration on the driver's side floor and steering wheel. No vibration until about 60-65 MPH. More predominate when driving in the left lane of the interstate. Had almost 60,000 miles on it. Car had a 60,000 mileextended warranty on it, so while I had it in for a P/S unit leaking and clunking over small bumps. The Dealership replaced the front springs (recall) as they were both broken and the end-links in the front and rear (stupid plastic). They said that they could not find the anything that would cause the shake/vibration that they could not duplicate (Hummm..."Well, we drove it at 55 MPH with no problem"...Say WHAT?). Anyways, I took the car home, put it up on jack stands, and checked for ball joint issue and tie-rod issue.My problem turned out to be a bad outer tie-rod on the driver's side (Was real hard to find, like 30 seconds after jacking the car up). Replaced both sides myself for about $45 since one was bad...the other was surely soon to follow. Problem cured.