Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

03 Taurus Trasmission keeps slipping and....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Default 03 Taurus Trasmission keeps slipping and....

First off, Hi, Im new my name is victor.

I replaced my transmission 1 month ago from the same guy who sold me my car, He owns a small shop that sells used cars.

This was all done unofficial with no guarentee other than the fact that I have been going to him for a year and a half now for minor issues that he apparently fixed.

Now I took my car to him awhile back before the transmission was replaced.
Because when I was driving on the freeway on my way to work the transmission or the "GEARS" started to slip What I mean by that is
As I was going 65-72mph on the freeway the car breaked really quickly and sort of pulled back it felt like the braks were pushed fairly quickly.

however I did not touch the breaks, After this followed the car to do it more frequently at the time and eventually was undrivable, So My "mechanic" fixed the car or so i thought, I paid $1200 for a new or "rebuilt" transmission, I got my car it drove fine, Then......

When I was driving on the freeway the same problem happened, So my question is, WtF is going on with my car and what could the problem be?

I just took the car to sears and they filled my transmission fluid because it was almost dry and gone, So I thought w0w why didnt i think of that..

The problem still isnt fixed, The car feels like it doesnt want to shift gears and then it boost really quickly because the last gear didnt shift when it was suppose to.

Im not sure what to do or what this is, I dont wanna spend 100 bucks for diagnostics at pepboys which might be the only option if You guys cant help..

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any if any, Help.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by vulloa1987
First off, Hi, Im new my name is victor.

A:
the transmission or the "GEARS" started to slip What I mean by that is
As I was going 65-72mph on the freeway the car breaked really quickly and sort of pulled back it felt like the brakes were pushed fairly quickly.

B:
The problem still isn't fixed, The car feels like it doesn't want to shift gears and then it boost really quickly because the last gear didn't shift when it was suppose to.
Victor, regarding 'A': when a transmission slips the engine RPMs go up but the car does not accelerate.It feels as it were in 'N'. What you discribe is not a transmission slip. It is a misfire of the engine. Does the sound of the engine change when this happens? Refer to my answer on your other thread.

What you describe under 'B' is 'late shifting'. This could happen when the valves in the valve body are sticking. Or when the fluid is low, or the torque converter is going bad, or the transmission filter is clogged.

It could be that the throttle position sensor and/or the vehicle speed sensor are not working properly.

My guess is that the filter is clogged or the torque converter is going bad.

Do some more google searches with the terms I gave you here.
I once had a transmission shop do a diagnostic test. They placed the vehicle on a stage with rollers and checked for shifting patterns. It is more than just plugging in a scanner.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM

that's an nice stuff it would help me a lot thanks for the post good job guys........

Old 01-13-2012, 09:24 AM

"What you describe under 'B' is 'late shifting'. This could happen when the valves in the valve body are sticking. Or when the fluid is low, or the torque converter is going bad, or the transmission filter is clogged.

It could be that the throttle position sensor and/or the vehicle speed sensor are not working properly.
"

There is one other possible reason for 'B' and it is easy overlooked: dragging brakes. If the brakes don't completely release the driver will compensate by going a little more on the throttle and the throttle position sensor tells the computer that the driver wants to go harder. Therefore the shifts are later than the driver expects them. Fuel consumption goes up in these cases.

Last edited by bluewind; 01-13-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Default 2001 Explorer

Hello, new to the sight and happened upon the thread. It rings similar to a problem I am having. I have a 2001 4.0 SOHC 2wd Explorer. And it just does not go when press accel. I did release driving side caliper because I could hear it dragging. I press on the gas pedal and engine revs to 2000rpms but vehicle sluggishly gains momentum. Once I finally reach around 40mph it begins to buck. And I can't get over 50mph. And when I am able to hold at 40mph for a stretch then the thottle will stick and it seems to stay in high rev mode and won't kick down. So when I'm approaching a red light it kicks and stays reved up and then it will begin to overheat. And stay reved up. When I put it in park it stays reved up. When I turn it off it backflushes the coolant into the resevoir and it spills out.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Check the throttle body and throttle cable. Unhook the cable and lube it with silicone or something. Use gravity flow and move the cable in and out to get the lubricant down all the way.
If a wire of the cable uncoils it can make the cable stick.

Make sure your basic tune up items are up to snug. Plugs, wires coils.

You also may have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 PM

The braking thing you mentioned and also a weird speedometer issue just pointed at the transmission speed sensor for me. Fixed everything. Hard to get to but on a 1996, 3.0 it's at the back of the left side as you look from front. You have to look for an odd shaped heat shroud you pull straight up. (it comes off. replace when done..) Then go to the right side of the car and look down there near the tranny with a light. You'll see the speed sensor. 1/4" drive ratchet, 10mm socket and a 4 inch extension. You might want to do it at night so your flashlight illuminates instead of being drowned out by daylight. Pull it out. Count how many bolts are on your tranny and they'll match you up. If it's a 19 bolt you can buy with plastic gear. If you have 17 bolts you'll have to reuse the gear on the old sensor. As you can see that I've just posted about finding a new gear that I am already guessing you have to go to Ford if gear is shot. Be careful pulling clip off old one or you'll damage teeth on gear and have to go to Ford. I have one mostly destroyed tooth on the one I just changed but it works fine yet. I'm trying to line up a new gear.

Last edited by Guvner; 08-25-2013 at 10:14 PM.