Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

1997 TAURUS DRIVER WINDOW

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Default 1997 TAURUS DRIVER WINDOW

DRIVER SIDE WINDOW STOPPED WORKING AFTER BEING PUT DOWN. ALL OTHER WINDOWS WORK AND I CHECKED THE SWITCH ON THE DRIVERS DOOR AND IT WORKS. WHEN THE SWITCH IS PLACED IN THE DOWN POSITION, A CLICKING NOISE IS MADE FROM SOMEWHERE IN THE DOOR AND THE SAME WHEN THE SWITCH IS PLACED IN THE UP POSITION. DOES IT SOUND LIKE THE MOTOR IS BAD OR COULD THE DRIVER WINDOW RELAY EFFECT THIS IN ANYWAY. IF IT IS THE MOTOR, HOW MUCH TROUBKE IS IT TO REPLACE IT.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Default RE: 1997 TAURUS DRIVER WINDOW

If its making a noise I would guess that the motor is good , Sounds like the drive gear has failed , there made outta plastic, I aint going to lie their a bit of a bogger to get out , but you can do it takes like 2.0 hrs, new / rebuilt motor I think are like $60.00 dollars, The drive gear is like $10.00, Some folks feel that the time it takes to get it out , its better to replace the motor cause your allready there, an hopefull wont have to fool with it for a few more yrs. other folks try / need to save money anyway they can , so if you got an $60.00 that aint going to hurt you shoot for a motor, you gotta take off the door cover , drill out 3- rivets that hold window reg. to door frame , ( replace them with machine screws an nuts 1/4' size ) support window after you pul it off lower track, an wiggle an twist , say a few chose words , Oh disconnect wies at plug in ) An TAAA DAA its out.the motor is held on by 2 machine screws just unbolt it---Pay close atten. to how its sits on the reg. gear so you can line it back up, an the window will have full travel. after you got motor off remove 1 more screw lift metal cover off an you can see the plastic drive gear , its more of a rachting dog gear set up , made of plastic so if the window jambs with something in it they will strip out an not do much damage to whats caught in the window, with out breaking the glass, have fun .......make sure u lube the track with some grease so it slid easy , an spray the channels along the inside of the door/ window frame where the weather stripping is with some spray lube like silcone

Old 08-02-2005, 11:36 PM

a quick way is to bypass the switch with a jumper wire right to the motor if it works you know that the motor is fine but check to make sure its in the right place not off the track or anything does the passenger window work with the drivers side switch because the should be on the same ground if it is ok then i would think it to be a switch

Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 PM

True its easy to bypass the switch to rule it out , but normally when a switch fails, You dont hear a noise in the door panel clicking ?, Sounds like the motor is getting power ,but it has either failed or the drive unit has failed . You know .