Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

1998 Taurus Instrument Cluster Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Default 1998 Taurus Instrument Cluster Help Please

Hello all,
I just recently purchased a 1998 Taurus with the duratech engine. 1 I have a few probems I could really Please use help on.

1.) Alot of Instrument Cluster lights are inop to include the following:
O/D off, Rear Lamp Out,ABS,Cruise,Brake. I have checked (with an ohm meter) all fuses, removed panel and checked bulbs, checked power at fuse 12 (which I think powers it) and searched high and low for a plug which may be unplugged. Its driving me NUTS..

2.) Cruise control is inop: I have check the brake switch, attempted to check the servo but NO wiring diagrams at the library match the colors. It is a 6 pin connector. I have voltage on 2 of the pins at all times (dont know which way to count the pin out.) I am hoping its related to the above problem????

3.) Also the engine runs ar about 2600 RPM's at 70mph. I dont know if this is correct or not?

My wife drove it the other day and said the O/D light came on and started flashing. I have not seen this YET and have put about 100 miles on it since. Heck the light doesnt even test now so I dont know what happened after that.

4.) Last but not least. The service engine light came on. Autozone did the diagnosis on it and said it was the EGR valve. I did buy a new one but before I changed it I checked the vaccum line and there was very little suction on the line. Although I dont know how much is suppose to be there either?

Please help...... I have to drive this thing from michigan to alabama next week and cant risk not being there to start a new job.

Thank you Chad

Old 06-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Oh and when the O/D light came on with my wife was driving it the speedometer quit working also.

Thanks again

Old 06-26-2010, 10:19 PM

Update: I tested the O/D light with the switch. It DOES illuminate and work fine..... So now I am completely baffeled???

There has got to be a relay, junction point or something in common.... Its driving me nuts now!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 PM

I've got a great mechanic in Livonia, Van Ess & Sons on Five Mile Rd (corner of Harrison) Stu the owner, has been serviceing my 98 SE Wagon for a couple of years now. He typically can tell you within an hour whats wrong with the vehicle. He's been rated as #1 in Livonia for years. You can reach him at 734-422-0320, M-F 9am-5pm.
I've been doing business with him for at least ten years and recommend him to everyone. I'm not related to him and am not affiliated with him other than a very satisfied customer. His attitude and prices are great. Good luck!