Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

1998 Taurus shut off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Default 1998 Taurus shut off while driving

My best friend has a 98 taurus V6 12Valve. It shut off on him while driving down the interstate and will not start. I have changed the plugs, wires, coil, cleaned throttle body. I pulled the gas line after the filter to check pump/filter it sprayed nicely. It sounds like it wants to start but doesn't.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Default RE: 1998 Taurus shut off while driving

ORIGINAL: Da Engineer

My best friend has a 98 taurus V6 12Valve. It shut off on him while driving down the interstate and will not start. I have changed the plugs, wires, coil, cleaned throttle body. I pulled the gas line after the filter to check pump/filter it sprayed nicely. It sounds like it wants to start but doesn't.

Hello and good day:

Have you checked to see if the CEL is on (check engine light)?? If so is it Blinking??? Have you checked to make sure you have spark to the plugs??? Have you checked to see if the Fuel Injectors??? Now one more thing.....Have you checked the AMP's on the Battery?? Sorry...You checked the compression??

Good luck and keep us advise....6

Old 11-05-2008, 08:14 AM

Being that it was running when it happened i was hoping that someone may have encountered a similar problem and it might be a quick fix. The battery is brand new. i will have to check the spark, CEL, etc. If the CEL is blinking what does that mean?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Da Engineer

Being that it was running when it happened i was hoping that someone may have encountered a similar problem and it might be a quick fix. The battery is brand new. i will have to check the spark, CEL, etc. If the CEL is blinking what does that mean?

This will mean you have a Misfire in one of the Plugs,,,or Coil Pack.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 PM

Good Evening,
I checked the cel this weekend and it was not blinking. I also loaned a CBD II from Autozone and i got no error codes on the computer. I checked the CBD II on my 02 Windstar to make sure the CBD II was working and it was cause i got errors on my van. I did a shade tree check at the muffler to see if the cat was clogged and i got exhaust out of the tail pipe while trying to start the engine. The inertia switch is depressed, i checked. The person at autozone told me that the crankshaft sensor is a common problem on Taurus, is that true?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM

Yas and no. On most models out in this crazy world, the camshaft position sensor is there to tell the computer when the #1 piston is on it's power stroke so that the injectors are pulsed right before the intake opens so that the fuel stays moving and vaporized without pooling up. On older models, they are bank-fired so that economy is less and burning is less efficient. If the signal is lost ( on my 1994Taurus for example) it won't shut off, but it will go by the last signal and will continue top run based on it's own time intervals. It pretty much guesses when to fire the injectors

Im going to make a few calls and check with some friends...will advise....6