Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2001 Taurus problem: High beams don't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Default 2001 Taurus problem: High beams don't work

I have a problem with the high beams on my Taurus. If I turn on the high beams the headlights completely turn off. The high beam indicator on the dash lights up fine though. If I hit the flashers, there is just no change in the headlight strength. I have the Chilton manual, but the schematic is wrong for my vehicle, since it says I'm supposed to have fuse 30 for the high beams, but that it apparently not true. There are no fuses that are blown, and I checked the multifunction switch and that is working fine.

If anyone has any ideas of other stuff I can check. Please let me know. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:37 AM

You might do better if you looked in your owner's manual in the fuse and relay section.
In there it should tell which fuse (and relay, if applicable) is for the hi-beam lights. It's not impossible for both lamps to be blown out. You might want to confirm the bulbs are good before going on a wild goose chase. You can do that by either substituting another lamp or confirming power is getting to the hi-beam part of the lamp plug.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM

I have already replaced both bulbs, and that has not worked. I highly doubt that 2 sets of bulbs were bad. I have also checked the owners manual, but according to that, there is only 1 set of fuses for the headlights, that is in the engine compartment, and both fuses in there are good. They are also labeled as a fuse for the left headlight and a fuse for the right headlight. According to the owners manual, there apparently is not a separate fuse for the high beams. This is why I am looking for advise on this, since nothing seems to be wrong. I just don't want to waste my time trying to trace wires right now. Hopefully someone else has seen this problem or know what I should look at next to hopefully cut down on the possible wasted time I can eventually spend on this.

According to all the schematics that I have seen so far when searching the internet or looking in the Chilton manual, there is supposed to be a separate fuse for the high beams, but I don't think this car has one. Please help. Thanks.