Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

98 Taurus electrical system. Mechanic stumped.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Default 98 Taurus electrical system. Mechanic stumped.

My Taurus died completely. Turn the key and nothing...except...here's what happened:

• Drove 25 miles. Left the car an hour. Got back in. Turned the key and got nothing. Just as if the battery was disconnected.
• With the key turned to the on position, I put the car in gear. Suddenly the electronics (radio, air conditioning) came on. When I turned the key further to start the car, everything when dead again. I was able to do this twice, and then it remained dead no matter what.
• With the key completely out of the ignition, there was a ticking sound (flasher?) coming from the steering column.
• During the tow, the emergency lights, which I had left in the on position, kept coming on (flashing normally) and going off again.

The mechanic has had it for two weeks. He has called his mechanic friends. Everyone is completely stumped. Obviously he had the steering column apart. EVerything there is fine. he's gone over the car with a fine-toothed comb.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Could you tell me how to describe this? I don't even know how to google the problem!!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Have them check the Transmission Range sensor.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:52 PM

sounds like a loose ground, try checking the grounds on the radiator support next to the battery. I've seen this problem on taurus's before

Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Default I agree with PROFWRENCH

I agree with PROFWRENCH. It sounds like a loose ground. I'd be very disappointed with your mechanic if he did not rule out this relatively simple issue before he took apart the steering column.