Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2002 Taurus SES miss at idle in drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Default 2002 Taurus SES miss at idle in drive

I have a 2002 Taurus SES with the DOHC motor and 106,000 miles. Whenat idle, in drive, the motor misses or tumbles. It is not a constant miss like a dead cylinder. It runs smooth at cruising speed. I have replaced the plugs with double platinum and did all six, replaced the fuel filter, checked the plug wires with an ohm meter and they were good. The plugs all had good color but the platinum electrode showed typical signs of wearing out. The motor still missed after the plug change. There are no trouble codes. Could the coil be failing? Yesterday the radio turned itself on twice on the ride home by itself? I don't know if this is related or just a coincidence. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris

Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Default RE: 2002 Taurus SES miss at idle in drive

ORIGINAL: ctrujillo2000

I have a 2002 Taurus SES with the DOHC motor and 106,000 miles. Whenat idle, in drive, the motor misses or tumbles. It is not a constant miss like a dead cylinder. It runs smooth at cruising speed. I have replaced the plugs with double platinum and did all six, replaced the fuel filter, checked the plug wires with an ohm meter and they were good. The plugs all had good color but the platinum electrode showed typical signs of wearing out. The motor still missed after the plug change. There are no trouble codes. Could the coil be failing? Yesterday the radio turned itself on twice on the ride home by itself? I don't know if this is related or just a coincidence. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris

Hello and good day to you:

I would think it could be your MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) or a TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor)...Have you gotten a CEL (Check Engine Light) Yet???

As far as this: "Yesterday the radio turned itself on twice on the ride home by itself? I don't know if this is related or just a coincidence. Any ideas?" I Believe your Car is Possessed, and you have a Ghost living in your Car...lol....
No sorry just a joke....You may have a Bad Control/Volume Switch (****) and it is causing it to come on...does this happen when you go over a bump??

One more thing...You may have a Bad Plug Wire, or a Bad Coil Pack on one of the Cylinders.

Please advise further.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 AM

Please clarify which engine you have...

You reference that you have the DOHC engine, but state that you checked the PLUG WIRES and you reference a coil. The 3.0 Duratec DOHC engine doesn't have plug wires. It has COPs (Coil On Plugs) and the plugs go down into the cylinder heads thru the valve covers. The 3.0 Vulcan OHV has a coil pack with plug wires and the plugs go into the side of the heads by the exhaust manifolds. This will help as these are different animals in regards to trouble-shooting.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 AM

Cops? (Coil on Plugs) I learn something new here every day.

If it turns out you do have actual Spark Plug wires, I am concerned that even though you Ohm'd them out and they appeared to be good you may still have high voltage leakage due to insulator break down that might not be detectable using a standard Ohmmeter because the load on the Wires is much less than what the high voltage would present to the wires. Make sure that the path your wires take are as far away from conductive surfaces as possible. If you are getting a break down path to any exposed parts or even the metal parts of the engine, that could cause a multitude of secondary symptoms....yes even the Ghost like electronic functions.