Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

'97 Ford Taurus GL Wagon 193.5K (3.0L): Tranny Return Line

Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Default '97 Ford Taurus GL Wagon 193.5K (3.0L): Tranny Return Line

'97 Ford Taurus GL Wagon 193.5K (3.0L): Tranny Return Line

I replaced all the tranny fluid this past weekend (2nd time since new ... I know ... too long in between). Had a LOT of trouble removing the lower return line into the tranny (I was attaching a 3' hose to pump it out). I've got the 3/8" lines with the plastic tabs that you pinch, but no matter how hard I pinched (bare hands, tools, etc.) I could not get the line to come out. Finally, it DID come out - but with the plastic insert attached (which I don't think is right ... seems to me this piece stayed inside the tranny last time).

After I was done, I then had a LOT of trouble getting the line back INTO the tranny. Simply forcing the line with the insert still on it back into the hole didn't work, so I ended up pulling the plastic piece off the line and inserting it back into the tranny before trying (several times) to push the line back in to the proper depth. Seemed every time I tried, the line would not go in far enough. Finally, it DID (seem to) be in deep enough (judging by the look of the upper line which I did not touch) ... but it was late (and dark) and I didn't have the nerve to pull back on it to see if it was locked in. I ended up driving it 25' back to the driveway where it will sit until this coming weekend (no apparent leaks, but not much of a "test", either).

I should probably replace this plastic insert, right? (I assume this is possible). On re-install, I could never really get it to sit flush with the tranny case. Always had some portion of it's lip just slightly raised from flush. Maybe it was distorted from being yanked out still attached to the line?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Miraculously, the line doesn't appear to be leaking! I've taken the car out twice today to run errands (and get it hot to check the fluid level) and bone dry both times! Can't believe it! It mustn't take very much to keep that line in there because that plastic piece HAD to had been deformed somewhat.

Yesterday, I stopped by the Ford dealer parts department and they claimed I couldn't buy just the plastic insert (yeah, right!). $15 to replace the entire fitting. That's crazy! I mean - it's not like they cast the fitting AROUND the plastic insert!

As for the fluid level, I've added 1/2 pints (the amount the shop manual recommends) three times now (after running the engine hot). Seems to be moving toward the crosshatch area (finally). Maybe one or two more 1/2 pints.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 AM

Usually there is a good reason you need to replace the entire fitting as Ford suggests.
$15 is cheap insurance it won't let go out on the road somewhere.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Speaking of trannies, it's just my 2 cents...I don't know how long you plan on keeping the car with the mileage you have on it, but an external tranny cooler properly installed can really stretch the life of the gearbox...My 96 has low mileage (under 100K), and since I'd like to get quite a few more good years out of it, a cooler goes in this month...

Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 PM

Still no leaks.

I just didn't want to deal with that fitting after going through all the trouble of draining and re-filling the tranny fluid if I didn't have to. Seems hard to believe that you cannot just buy the plastic insert. I should've stripped these off the 'donor' car when I did the body panel replacement work but I didn't think of it. Not a part (like an alternator) that you'd think to remove.

Anyway, it looks like the line isn't leaking after, what ... . 6 months? Must be OK, right? Hmmmm...

As far as the cooler, I'm about to cross 200,000 miles now and don't see a reason for one. This car will never tow anything (it would kill the tranny instantly), and it's only going to be an in-town car the rest of the way, so why bother?

Last edited by Colt Hero; 10-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.