Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2002 tuarus Serpentine belt diagram!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Default 2002 tuarus Serpentine belt diagram!!!!!

My belt broke and I can not find a diagram anywhere to replace it. can anyone help?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2002 tuarus Serpentine belt diagram!!!!!

Pic #1.........3.0 2V
Pic #2&3....3.04V

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/7F15977F136E4EF9AC20D1A6DBDE441A.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/985386B095FD4572A210DCC20E72DB2F.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/9645D2816BFC438E9603BC91B55B7F52.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanx for the info, This helped greatly. But now I know why the belt broke, Bad A/C compressor. The pully spins freely when the car is off. I put on the new belt and when I engaged the A/C I could hear the compessor grinding. I thought it would be OK as long as I didn't turn on the A/C but the belt broke again after only a couple of miles.

I now need to determine whether to try and fix the A/C or put on a bypass pully. I do not have alot of money to throw at this and need the car for work. Should I try and replace the compressor and maybe tha accumilator. Would I need to replace anything else?

(a little history) The A/C stopped blowing cold about 2 months ago, I thought it just lost the freon since it did not go warm all at once, it took a couple of months.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated since I need to explore all my options. The research I have done says I might need to replace almost the entire system.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

If the compressor pulley (hub) bearing is turning/spinning free, then there shouldn't be any need to install any other pulley.. But remember,, the A/C still runs in Defrost mode if commanded ON, and unless the clutch and/or compressor is 'smoked' and still drags the belt with the compressor OFF, then as long asthe pulley/hub bearing is OK, you should just be able to pull the compressor connector to kill it with no issues..

You might try and pull the orifice filter and have a look there for trash/metal if the compressor is coming apart as an indicator for a first step....

Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 PM

Thanx for your reply.
It is trash in the system that I am mostly worried about. I can probably afford to replace the compressor and the accumulator and maybe have it vacuumed and charged by a shop, but would hate to do this and have it go bad "down the road".

The A/C / Heat selector was never turned on and the new belt snapped clean, just like the original (which lookeda pretty new itself). All the other pullys feel smooth.

If I find trash in the Expansion valve filter what would be contaminated in the system? The condensor? Evaporator, etc.... I don't mean to keep asking questions but I pretty much only have one shot at fixing this and will need to do the work myself. On the surface it does not look to difficult and I am quite capable but my experience is with early model cars (one or two many years ago)and my knowledge of A/C is only basic.

Thanx agian
Buzzjockey

Also if you have any links that might be helpful.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

If the compressor comes apart and completely fails, and pukes bits and pieces into the system, the first place they'll go will be the condensor, then on into the orifice filter.. If you pull the line and the filter is completely packed with metal ect. then you'll know where you stand.. Some lite debris is normal, thats why there's a filter there..

Must be missing something on the pulleys as far a rotaion/drag.. Does it show any sign of getting hot? Might try and install another belt and run the engine and watch/listen for the belt to squeal, or hop if being dragged..

Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

I have rechecked the pullys and all are very smooth except the A/C compressor, it is a little "gritty" and "sticks", I am not sure what a good compressor should feel like but it doesn't feel right, Also both belts where in the same place after they broke and the breakwas right at the compressor,that is assuming they didn't move after they broke.

I have been doing alot of reseach but can only find a general info on where the expansion valve is,and cannot find a replacement part. Can you tell me where it is on the 2002 Taurus,I cannot find a manual locally and will have to order one, which it is looking like might be a good idea shouldI decide todo this repair myself. I have been able to locate a new compressor(ebay) and accumulator(Rockauto.com) for about $200 total.

Thanx for you time so far, you info has been very helpful.
Buzzjockey

Old 07-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

By the A/C being a little gritty,,, you mean turning the compressor nose itself...correct?.. not the compressors 'belt' pulley.. It should spin 'totally' free and smooth..

The orifice filter is under the protective cover in the line between the condensor and the evaporator

Here's a few pic for clarity..

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/FF0718DE1F894DDA82FD0A718F864060.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/01DAEC86A56D4982A787302AE949DF06.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/49A15EE121694779AC7F7FFED09E1734.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/6191DDC8DB1A4E4B8AAD325F4EF44EEF.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-11-2007, 08:13 AM

Actually I did mean the "belt" pully, it moves freely but it is a little gritty and has "rough spots" or sticks. Its kind of hard to describe, kind of like it were turning a small piston and it is harder to turn as it goes past TDC, if that makes any sense. The nose , what looks like the clutch to me, will move about an inch back and forth.

Also when the first belt broke the PS spit out a little fluid through the little vent hole in the cap. I don't know if this means anything though. The PS pulley feels smooth and when I put on the second belt it worked fine and didn't whine or make any noise besides the norm.

I have also been coming across alot of conflicting infoon whether to flush the system or not should I decide to fix it. Is this something that can be doneproperly "at home"?

Thanx again

All those pics have cleared up alot.

Buzzjockey

Old 07-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Well I have another dilema, I have decided to just put the bypass pulley on for the time being. If I do the work myself things could end up worse and I would rather it be done right by someone with the proper equipment and tools.

My dilema is that when I tried to replace the broken belt it took me four tries at autozone to get a belt that fit properly. I finally had to match one to the old belt that was between the two closest sizes. The problem is the original belt, aGates 060854, which is 85 7/8" is alot shorter than the Duralast 855K6, which is 85.5". I ended up going with aDuralast 827K6, 82.7". So what's the deal here. The 827K6 and 060854 were the closest match but there is supposed to be about a 3" difference. Is this something I should worry about?Could there be that much difference in brands on how they measureBelts. I know this mightseem trivial but how do avoid getting the wrong belt again. Do I get an 85" or 82" belt. The only place that has Gates belts are more than twice as much money. Any suggestions?

Thanx
Buzzjockey

Quick Reply: 2002 tuarus Serpentine belt diagram!!!!!