Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

2003 Taurus SEL climate control problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Default 2003 Taurus SEL climate control problem

My 03 has Automatic Climate control . . . . . the blower motor works but getting no heat....even when I set the desired temp higher. Temp gauge in the normal range so I assume thermostat is OK. I have heard there are temp sensors in the car along with other sensors elsewhere ? Could that be the problem ? Is the whole unit shot ? Anybody have advice on troubleshooting this one ? How much to fix ?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Default RE: 2003 Taurus SEL climate control problem

Check your coolant level, those had a tendency to crack the coolant resivoir jug and lose coolant pressure and fluid at slow rate. If all is in tact there, when was the last time system was flushed? Could have restriction in heater core. You can use infared heat gun to monitor water temp entering and exiting heater core from hoses on firewall, they should be within 8 gegrees or so, if not you need to pray, and do back flush on heater core to try and remove restriction, if not replace heater core. OUCH.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 AM

thanks for the reply. I checked the Reservoir and coolant level, both are ok. I didn't have anything to measure the temp of the hoses but both felt hot, or about the same to touch. All of the buttons on the climate control shifted air flow to vent, defrost, heater, all selections seemed to shift the air flow to the correct location. If it is not the heater core, is there possibly a door or shutter not opening to allow the air to blow over the heater core ? or maybe a temp sensor inside the car that may be bad, thinks it is already warm enough inside the car ? Also, I have heard the unit will run a self diagnostic if the correct sequence of buttons is pushed in correct order. Anyone know anything about that ?

Old 12-05-2006, 01:19 AM

thanks for the reply. I checked the Reservoir and coolant level, both are ok. I didn't have anything to measure the temp of the hoses but both felt hot, or about the same to touch. All of the buttons on the climate control shifted air flow to vent, defrost, heater, all selections seemed to shift the air flow to the correct location. If it is not the heater core, is there possibly a door or shutter not opening to allow the air to blow over the heater core ? or maybe a temp sensor inside the car that may be bad, thinks it is already warm enough inside the car ? Also, I have heard the unit will run a self diagnostic if the correct sequence of buttons is pushed in correct order. Anyone know anything about that ?

Old 12-05-2006, 02:50 AM

.......wheelsup68..........thanks for the reply and the help...........I just found some information on the climate control diagnostic test.......

Press "off" and "floor" simultaneously, release them and press & release "auto." The digital display goes into self test mode. three dashes appear on the display. After it runs through the test (less than 30 seconds usually) it will display a 3 digit code. If no error codes exist, the display will show "888". If error codes do exist, they will appear on the display. To exit the test, press the "-" on the temp control (temperature down). It also said that running the self test will "reset" the climate control unit and may allow it to work properly for a while (I assume this is only if something is not broken).

I ran the test and it returned two error codes...."024" & "025". I can't find anything specific on what these codes mean, I did read that "024" had something to do with the blend door, but nothing more specific than that. So at the least, if something is not broken, something happened at some time to cause it to record these two error codes.

And, after I ran the test, the heater now works. It blows hot air out of any location I select. Not sure if I have "fixed" it or "reset" it......maybe both. Hope it is fixed but I wanted to share this information just in case it could help someone with similar problems. If anyone has a list of error codes with descriptions for the climate control, would sure like to know what they mean.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

REMOTE CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) INDEX

PCM DTC B1249.... RCC Module DTC's 024-025

Description.....

Self-test (hard) faults 024... Run-time (intermittent) faults 025...

Temperature Blend Door Failure or Short

Old 12-06-2006, 12:47 AM

That is awesome info to know, thanks for the heads up. May be short term fix, but temp blend doors do go bad frequently in fords from my experience.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Hayapower & wheelsup68.....thanks for the help. This didn't turn out to be a permanent fix. I got through the winter because the blend door apparently stuck in a spot that I had heat. Now I have to fix it. Can anybody point me in the right direction to start or have a graphic of the unit and blend door location maybe........an exploded view and some suggestions of what I might find of what to look for >

thanks for the help