Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

94 mercury sable trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Default 94 mercury sable trouble

this isnt exactly about a ford taurus but since the mercury sable parts can be interchangeable... im having problems with my 94 sable. it will start fine then after a while it wont start at all. then about a day after not starting it will start fine again. ive been to alot of forums with the same problem but ive done what they suggested and still it doesnt work. now it wont start at all. ive changed the fuel pump, fuel relay, emergency shutoff swith, ignition control module, fuel filter, coil, computer and a couple of other things. when it doesnt start the fuel pump isnt going on. but when i go to start it later it does go on. so something isnt allowing the fuel pump to go on. please help.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Default RE: 94 mercury sable trouble

Did you ever resolve the starting problem?..having the same with 94 Ford Taurus.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Default RE: 94 mercury sable trouble

Had the same issue with the 94 Sable w/LTS packagethat I owned from 1994-2004. I traced out the wiring for the fuel pump relays and found a GREEN/CORRODED wire in the harness that goes right behind the left headlight assembly. There was a factory splice in the wire that feeds the fuel pump relay that had corroded and was causing a periodic loss of contact. I cut the bad section out and spliced in a new pice of wire. I believe that the fuel pumprelay is located in the IRCM/CCRM along with the EEC power relay, fan relays, and solid state A/C relay. It is a black box, roughly the size of a paperback book, located under the top of the fan shroud near the batt. It has about a 30 pin connector with a bunch of heavy gauge wires.[/align]This may not be your problem. but it's something to look for. I would also make sure that the battery terminals and connectors are clean and tight.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:19 PM

This may not be the correct thread to post this ( I'm new lol), I have a 2004 Mercury Sable and the check engine light came on and the car started running really rough, the error code was for multiple misfires. We changed the coil pack tonight and the car ran really smooth and then about a minute after running it started running rough again. The only thing different since we replaced the coil pack is that it doesn't try to stall when the gas is increased (runs nice and smooth now), my question is since the check engine light was still on do we need to have the computer reset? And would it run rough because the check engine sensor is telling it too since it hasn't been reset yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my car has been sitting for about 3-4 months and I miss my baby lol

Thank you in advance

Also there is a popping noise that is pretty noticeable and sounds like it is from the air filter area (any insight would be appreciated once again)

Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 AM

Existing codes will not have any affect on engine performance. They are just stored information. With popping sounds from the intake, it sounds like a couple of plug wires didn't get put back in their proper position. I would double check the coil to plug wiring.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the quick response, I should have mentioned that the popping noise started right after my son replaced my air filter, and then the car started running rough. We thought maybe the filter wasn't in right or blocking something but we checked all of that too,even left the cover (hose) off without the filter and still heard that noise. I am cautiously optimistic since it doesn't try to stall anymore when the gas is increased, hopefully we are on the right path, but that noise is really starting to worry me and I have a 72 yr old Mom with COPD and on oxygen that I need to take to Dr visit today and don't know if I should trust it

We also tried running it when it first started without the air filter too, to see if that was defective somehow, no luck lol

Also he took one wire off at a time and replaced it in the same position as it was on the old coil pack

I miss the cars of the 70's lol so much easier (less technical with computers, chips, senors etc)

Last edited by sandyn; 08-21-2014 at 10:40 AM.